1st Year Tiller Maintainance

/ 1st Year Tiller Maintainance #1  

saxon11

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T474
1st year of tractor along with tiller is in the books, and it was a big one. It was a pain for me to put it on, so i left it on most of season. It took a beating because of that, but also very handy to use often. Im missing a few parts I need to put back on and any other end of season you'd recommend?

IMG_1389.jpg
IMG_1390.jpg
IMG_1391.jpg

/ 1st Year Tiller Maintainance #2  
I like to change gearbox oil on a new implement after maybe 10 hours or a few uses (varies). If your tiller spends time in the rain, there could also be water contamination of the gear oil.
So I would change the gear oil, grease, and store it under cover.

/ 1st Year Tiller Maintainance #3  
Would you like to put it on/off in 60 seconds? You could if you had a quick hitch and your mounting pains would be over.

/ 1st Year Tiller Maintainance #4  
Being an implement with moving parts - I would store it under cover. Like in a carport or in a shed. Put it on a wood pallet or on a couple timbers. Up off the ground to get air flow in and around it Change the gearbox oil and grease all zerks. Read your owners manual and do whatever is suggested for storage.

No idea what you mean by - "it took a beating". But if it has damage due to other than use - - get use to removing it. There are a myriad of implements that wlll function well as counter weight and are not subject to a beating. I keep my HD rear blade on the 3-point all the time.

/ 1st Year Tiller Maintainance
Being an implement with moving parts - I would store it under cover. Like in a carport or in a shed. Put it on a wood pallet or on a couple timbers. Up off the ground to get air flow in and around it Change the gearbox oil and grease all zerks. Read your owners manual and do whatever is suggested for storage.

No idea what you mean by - "it took a beating". But if it has damage due to other than use - - get use to removing it. There are a myriad of implements that wlll function well as counter weight and are not subject to a beating. I keep my HD rear blade on the 3-point all the time.
Looking at manual attached, it says side and center gearbox. I went to hardware store and got these two bottles. Look like the right stuff?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 2.04.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 2.04.43 PM.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
   / 1st Year Tiller Maintainance #6  
The most important points - 1) that both gear boxes have lube. 2) that it is the correct amount 3) that it is the absolute correct weight. Either jug should provide proper lubrication.