2 Easy Maintenance questions, Nortrac 204c

/ 2 Easy Maintenance questions, Nortrac 204c #1  

jandersen7

Tractor
2008 Nortrac 204
Going through my manual, says to grease water pump. I find no grease fittings, or even a small hole to drop oil in like some old pumps. Does it actually need grease somwhere/somehow? Also, want to change oil in my injector pump, but not sure how to get breather cap off? Don't want to break it, it moves maybe a quarter turn left and right, but does not unscrew or pull off with reasonable effort.

/ 2 Easy Maintenance questions, Nortrac 204c #2  
You didn't say what year your tractor is, but I think the newer ones don't have water pumps you can grease. Usually the small hole is a weep hole that lets coolant drip out the bottom if the internal seal goes bad. You usually see it weeping and replace the pump long before it fails.

The injector pump breather caps I have seen stand up on a little stub that has a hex fitting for a wrench. Break the torque with a wrench and it should easily spin out with just finger pressure. Same to re-install, thread in by hand until it touches the just "snug" it up with a wrench so it won't vibrate loose.

If yours doesn't have the hex, please post a picture of it.

/ 2 Easy Maintenance questions, Nortrac 204c #3  
Some of the fuel injection pumps have a 6mm drain plug (mine does not, and the oil has to be sucked out through the dipstick tube with a suction gun). There is also a 6mm bolt on the side of the pump (some will have a ring through the bolt head), and when removed indicates the proper oil level when oil comes out. As Piper said, the mushroom vent should unscrew, but you can also fill the pump through the dipstick tube using a syringe (that's how I do it).
No grease fitting on coolant pump, that's old literature.

/ 2 Easy Maintenance questions, Nortrac 204c
You didn't say what year your tractor is, but I think the newer ones don't have water pumps you can grease. Usually the small hole is a weep hole that lets coolant drip out the bottom if the internal seal goes bad. You usually see it weeping and replace the pump long before it fails.

The injector pump breather caps I have seen stand up on a little stub that has a hex fitting for a wrench. Break the torque with a wrench and it should easily spin out with just finger pressure. Same to re-install, thread in by hand until it touches the just "snug" it up with a wrench so it won't vibrate loose.

If yours doesn't have the hex, please post a picture of it.
Sorry, I just put the tractor type in the title of the thread. It is a 2008 Nortrac 204c.

Some of the fuel injection pumps have a 6mm drain plug (mine does not, and the oil has to be sucked out through the dipstick tube with a suction gun). There is also a 6mm bolt on the side of the pump (some will have a ring through the bolt head), and when removed indicates the proper oil level when oil comes out. As Piper said, the mushroom vent should unscrew, but you can also fill the pump through the dipstick tube using a syringe (that's how I do it).
No grease fitting on coolant pump, that's old literature.
I have no dipstick (unless it is attached to the breather cap), instructions say to remove a small plastic plug to drain oil, then refill until it flows out an upper hole, fill through the open breather cap. I will work on that breather cap, see it there is a nut/hex I can unscrew.

/ 2 Easy Maintenance questions, Nortrac 204c #8  
Glad it helped. If you back up to the main page of the website (harnerfarm.net) the link to Jinma will have links to other documents as well. Help yourself to any of them. I didn't create them, just passing them on for others.