2 or 3 axles?

/ 2 or 3 axles? #31  
Bird,
Thats strange. That is how the address is book marked in my system, and it works when I click the book mark. But it wont come up any outher way?? Oh, well, I will never get this internet thing.

Paul Bradway

/ 2 or 3 axles? #32  
Me neither, Paul. I thought you just left something out, but guess it works one way for some and another for others. All I could get was "unable to open page" message until I added the 3 Ws.

Bird

/ 2 or 3 axles? #33  
Well, it doesn't surprise me. There are a lot of things out there that I haven't seen yet. I know how surge brakes work, but have just never seen one with discs.

And I do like disc brakes. How many of you are old enough to remember the drum and shoe brakes on all 4 wheels, no power steering, and no power brakes, and when you drove in wet weather you knew if you hit the brakes, it was going to pull one way or the other; you just didn't know which way or how hard?/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ 2 or 3 axles? #34  
I used to drag race my old Mustang. 4 wheel non-power drum brakes. When you hit the end of the track doing over 100hph, and hit the brakes, the real fun begens! It has discs now. for a look at it now go to.
http://hometown.aol.com/s1120/myhomepage/auto.html

Paul Bradway

/ 2 or 3 axles? #35  
The ramps on my lowboy are detachable but very heavy 3 inch channel iron with the hinge part 2 inch od pipe the hinge pin is solid rod. A guy I know has a identical trailer he hauls a 10000 lb komatsu dozer he said the trick on the ramps are to either park on level ground or crib up the support leg on the ramps.

35-19765-254av.jpg

/ 2 or 3 axles? #36  
here is a pic of the side view of the ramps they are able to slide about a foot toward the center for narrow equipment

35-19765-254av.jpg

/ 2 or 3 axles? #37  
Bird, in your diatrib about braking with 'old' style brakes in wet weather, to make it really interesting, throw in a worn out pair of front shocks, tires down near the safety bars (did they have them on the old tires?) and a broken bracket on the drivers side of the front seat!

/ 2 or 3 axles? #38  
Dang, scruffy, even my '46 Chevy wasn't that bad./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif However, I've actually driven cars that bad (or worse). Did you ever drive a car with NO shocks. That's certainly interesting, especially when you stop and sit there and rock back and forth. I don't recall when tires first started coming out with the wear indicator bars, but I consider them a fairly recent addition. They didn't exist during my teenage years working in the service station.

Bird

/ 2 or 3 axles? #39  
Back in those days, brake shoes were fine, because there was nothing else. How could you miss something you didn't have? And besides, in those days I was more interested in making a car go. How to stop was, well, an afterthought.

ErnieB
"Who will follow old Ben Milam into San Antonio?"
Ben Milam 1835

/ 2 or 3 axles? #40  
Bird, I sure didn't remember any safety bars on the old tires! The car in question in my previous post was an old 46 ford 2 door. It wasn't all that bad, just needing attention that I wasn't gonna give it! All my funds were going towards getting my 55 dodge 2dr h/t up and running with a 325c.i. hemi head in it. Sure wish I had that old ford now!
Never tried no shocks, but that old ford was darn close!
The worst thing on it was the seat. Not too long after that, I did a 'quick' start from a stop sign onto the hiway, and wound up in the back seat...and going straight across the road into the brush on the other side! Major OOPs! Scared the heck out of some tourists, and me too.