2-way radio help

/ 2-way radio help #11  
Here is a thread from last winter on FRS radios. Click Here

I have a set of Motorola’s 6200’s that work very well. But they do not have vibrating or rechargeable batteries. The next model up has these features. I believe they are not the current models that you can buy. Price was just over $50 for the pair with rebates that Motorola was offering at this time last year.

I have vibrating on my Cell phone. Because of the vibration of the tractor when it is running I can never tell when it goes off. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif An ear piece may work better.

/ 2-way radio help
Jack hate to admit it but I haven't owned a cell phone since I got out of the HVAC business over 4 years ago. For most of 38 years I was tyied to a pager and then cell phone when they came along. Heck I even had to tote one of those 1st big clumsy blasted bag pnones around with me. So you can understand why today I don't miss them. Still Internet savvy though as our mail order & Internet business keeps us all hopping here at the ranch. Need the 2-ways for that reason only.

Mike

/ 2-way radio help #13  
Lucky you, Mike...someday I'll be there... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jack

/ 2-way radio help #14  
Sounds like a great setup. But, since you appear to be trying to withdraw
from communications technology, how about two tin cans and a long string? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 2-way radio help
Bob I tried that idea first but with the mowing I just couldn't figure a way to keep the string tight enough to actually work. Can you hear me now? GOOD! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 2-way radio help #16  
A buddy bought some top of the line $200 each walkie talkies that worked well. We could talk over a mile apart in the woods across canyons, but we couldn't comunicate if there was a ridge between us.

Another friend bought a cheap pair of Cobra walkie talkies for about $30 for the pair. They worked just a well.

I paid about $40 for my motorola ones from Cabela's with charger. My land if very, very heavily wooded, but mostly flat. After about a 1,000 feet guessing they are worthless.

On six acres I'd guess you shouldn't have too much trouble.

/ 2-way radio help
Thanks for all the input on this subject. After doing quite a bit of homework I decided on a set of Motorola T5950 GMRS/FRS hand held units. Funny thing though as all the major players had them on backorder for a minimum of 3 to 4 weeks, so I assume that this must be one of the models that is in high demand. Anyway last night I got a brainstorm to search the eBay site and viola, I found a set with a buy-it-now price of $30.00 less than in the stores were offering them at, and they were brand new never used..... Now the decision to buy at eBay was a no brainer for me. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 2-way radio help #18  
Congratulations on your good buy. And don't forget to apply for your GMRS license.