2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #31  
My Kubota only skids when turning in 4wd if you are maxing out the turning radius. It turns at 90% radius fine. The front axel has plenty of pivot. If you lift up the front with the loader the front axle probably has 10 inches of travel.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #32  
A 2wd might be able to turn tighter, not having any limits 4wd might have to the angle the wheel could turn with out binding up the mechanics of fwd axle.
I cant see any binding or deficiency in steering on any of my 4 WD tractors. The wheels turn as much as the frame clearance allows which is about 1 inch of clearance between the tire and the tractor frame.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #33  
I have used both and can say a 2WD tractor turns and handles better than a 4WD tractor that is in 2WD. Mowing, york raking, rotory tilling, I always go to my 2WD first.

Can't agree on the tilling difference- with my 85 inch tiller there are times i need to put the 4x4 tractor in 4x to keep the tiller from actually pushing the tractor, the 2 wheel drive cannot control the tiller as well... but do agree on the mowing and york raking

On another note the front wheel diameter of my 4x tractor is 4 inches larger than the same machine with 2 wheel drive, I would think that it would roll out easier with the larger diameter wheel/tire combo.

and finally most of the time i don't need to use 4x4 and operate in 2x to save on wear and tear, but when needed the front wheels pulling is nice to have. jmo and YMMV

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #34  
I operate on hilly ground quite frequently and 4 wheel drive makes a big difference. In particular, when sometimes I have forgotten I am in 2 wheel drive (for example coming back from a trip on the road) and am going down hill with a trailer on the back, there is no doubt about the instability of the tractor as it feels like it wants to weave. Then I select the 4 wheel drive and all is calm again. It is also very noticeable when using the front loader to take up sand or gravel. For me 4 wheel drive is essential.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #35  
We have 3 tractors at the hilly orchard we I work a Kubota M9000 mfwd, a JD4320 mfwd. and JD 2855N 2wd. The 2855 is powerful tractor 80+hp and on fairly level ground it pulls and operates all the haying equipment the business has, but when it comes to navigating the orchard trails especially with rotary cutter or 16 ft wagon it is the last choice of tractor anyone cares to use. The little JD in 4WD especially with the loader on is my fav.

The 2855 has been stuck in the mud more times than I can remember :D

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #36  
Interesting thread--thanks OP and all who contributed.

And to others who may continue to contribute. :)

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #37  
Bringing up an old post but with a new question. In the owners manual of my NH 1715, it states 4WD should not be used unless needed to minimize wear on the tires and running parts. Do most of you run around in 2WD and 4WD only when necessary? I'm going to be running on mostly flat surfaces. Really would only need 4WD when plowing or pulling implements in the ground.. ?

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #38  
I use 4wd when needed. I don't run 4wd on concrete drives except when pushing snow. Mowing is mostly 2wd except on the hills.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #39  
I run 4 WD when needed.
When the loader is on my tractors stays in 4 WD till the loader is removed.

/ 2 WD vs. operating a 4 WD in 2 WD mode #40  
I run 4 WD when needed.
When the loader is on my tractors stays in 4 WD till the loader is removed.