2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #11  
Difficult terrain iis why they made those stupid awkward Big string trimmers that you strap on. I have zero use or want for one, but they do the job.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #12  
I waiting a berta flail mower for my grillo g 110 with gx 390.I assume your bcs 853 is equipt with a honda gx engine.How steep an angle will work on ?

Have not done a lot of brush clearing on hills as I have so much relatively flat brush that needs clearing. One 45 degree slope that is only about 8 foot tall and on the edge of my field I was going up, down and sideways without fear of tipping. The one time I tipped it on the side was when I ran the left wheel up on an unseen log next to a hidden hole. The tractor and I went over onto a pile of brush. I was able to pull it upright and restarted no sweat (yes, Honda GX engine). My tires are loaded that extra weight probably lends stability.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #13  
Sideways is better for engine than up and down?

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #14  
I see videos of slopes being mowed w/o any apparent issues. My main concern would be undue wear on the tractor due to oil not reaching parts while running tilted like that, but never heard of any issues. The guy to ask for a definitive answer would be, as always, Joel at Earth Tools. Perhaps there are adjustments that can be made for extended tilted operation. In our case it’s only for brief periods, not for lengthy periods of time.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #15  
Those 2 wheelers really can go where 4wd tractors dream about, even with other implements it repeatedly just leaves me with a bright grin in the tightest sloped spots. Just make sure the area is large enough to justify one instead of a handheld brushcutter. And look for one with a diff lock, I would be lost without it.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #16  
I see videos of slopes being mowed w/o any apparent issues. My main concern would be undue wear on the tractor due to oil not reaching parts while running tilted like that, but never heard of any issues. The guy to ask for a definitive answer would be, as always, Joel at Earth Tools. Perhaps there are adjustments that can be made for extended tilted operation. In our case it鬯ッ?ィ??セ髫カ蜴?スス?ク???ス???エ only for brief periods, not for lengthy periods of time.

The workshop manual for the ACME ALN 330W motor that came on my Goldoni and was standard on old BCSs show pictographs for tipping. For longitudinal tipping (pitching or rotation in a vertical plane parallel to the crankshaft) a limit of 45?ï½° forward or aft in discontinuous service and 40?ï½° in continuous service. For transverse tipping (rolling or rotation in a vertical plane perpendicular to the crankshaft) limits of 35?ï½° toward the intake/exhaust side discontinuously, 30?ï½° continuously; and limits of 45?ï½° away from the intake/exhaust side discontinuously, 40?ï½° continuously. "Discontinuous service" is not defined. Other motors may vary.
(Note: when I type the degree symbol TBN adds extra characters; all limits were to whole degrees.)

As practical matter I see high angles of pitch when using a rototiller on long rows as the most likely scenario for exceeding the limits. In mowing configuration the crankshaft would likely be parallel to the ground. A 30ï½° slope is 70% grade. Standing, let alone walking, is difficult.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #17  
I use a BCS 850, 13 hp Honda, with a flail. On my really steep ground I use duals, all foam filled so they are heavy. I usually go across the slope, will not do it unless steering brakes are working. It will sometimes get hung up, most of the time I can muscle it out. Also have creeks and springs, have been know to have to winch it out when stuck in mud. But I can put the 2 wheel places I would not think of putting the Kubota BX, and if/when I turn the BCS over, I am not on it and can just flip it back over and keep going. DOn't want to try that with the 4 wheel. I will admit the BCS will give you a workout, the older I get the more the workout. And it does take experience to be efficient, I am 60+ and can make it do a lot more than my 33 year old son, and he is much bigger/stronger than I.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #18  
Do you have some pictures of it?

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #19  
IMG_1870.JPGIMG_1871.JPGIMG_1874.JPGIMG_1872.JPGIMG_1873.JPG Picture with the red mower is the Zanon 40" mower, wheel has the barbell weight attachment/no weights. Full set of weights add 80 lbs, Those wheels are spaced out with a 2 1/2" extension. Next pic is the 6" extension for the duals. It is filled with lead, adds 16 lbs total. Next pictures are with the duals installed. All the tires are foam filled, I think it adds 20+ lbs/tire. The Berta is the 26". Wheel width is a total of 31" with the duals, a little wide but I will put up with that issue for the gain in traction and stability on the rough stuff. Use this combo if I need traction for pulling logs or using the dozer blade.

/ 2 Wheel Tractor for Tough Brush Cutting #20  
Hi ppea 😊

In my copy of the Owner's Manual for the GX390 engine, Honda states: "Do not operate the engine on slopes greater than 20 degrees (36 %)." There are no restrictions mentioned regarding the orientation of the engine, so whether you drive across a slope or up and down, probably doesn't matter to the engine. What matters though, is that you check the engine oil level frequently, especially before working on steep slopes, as running the engine with a low oil level can cause severe damage to the engine!

Your engine has 2 oil filler caps/dipsticks, 1 on each side of the engine, and you can use either one to check the oil level, and top up if necessary. The Owner's Manual recommends that you place the engine in a level position, and fill to the upper limit mark, which is the bottom edge of the oil fill hole. If you keep the oil level at the upper limit mark at all times, you should be on the safe side in normal operations, and on slopes up to 20 degrees (36 %).

The lubrication system on the Honda GX-series engines is of the simple splash type, common to many smaller engines. A dipper at the lower end of the connecting rod splashes oil all over the inner parts of the engine when running, keeping everything lubricated and cooled. This is how it looks:

Honda GX34-GX39 Connecting Rod [PF34E7] - $9.64 : Honda GX34 Parts , Quality aftermarket parts for Honda GX Engines

What puzzled me when I got my BCS 740, was the fact that the Honda engine doesn't have any form of oil filter or magnetic cap to remove impurities in the oil, while the tractor has both!

Best regards

Jens