20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition?

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #1  

Threepoint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2150HST w/ LA350 loader, Kubota GF1800 HST, Kioti CK3510SE HST w/ KL4030 loader, Kioti NX4510HST/cab w/ KL6010 loader
A buddy of mine has ordered a new gn equipment trailer and is offering me his bp for a good price. My problem is the tow vehicle. I'm wondering if there is a safe way to beef up a '99 Expedition to tow the trailer carrying my Kioti NX4510HST w/ cab. Happy to let this opportunity pass, if not.

The trailer is a 20' 10K Bri-Mar Deckover (16' plus 4' dovetail). Trailer weight is 3,700 lbs.

Weight of the tractor is about 4300 lbs, plus loaded rear tires, plus a KL610 loader of, I'm guessing, about 1,700 lbs. Would be nice to carry an implement as well, of about 750 lbs. I figure that totals close to 7,000 lbs.

The '99 "Eddie Bauer edition" Expedition has a GCWR of 7,200 lbs, a curb weight of 5,350 lbs. It has the 5.4L V-8 and the heavy-duty tow package. 17" wheels. Looks like the GVWR per the owner's manual is 13,500 lbs if the wheels were 16". The hitch presently on the truck is rated for 10K lbs, tongue weight (I think) 800 lbs.

All towing would be on the flat, not over 50 mph, and only occasional. But given my distance from the dealer, just a few trips hauling it in myself for periodic service would pay for the trailer. And it would be nice to have a deckover for other uses as well.

Any practical way to make this safe with the Exped, or is it non-starter? Adding heavier springs? Air-bag suspension? Weight distributing hitch? I'm planning to stop by a truck and trailer specialty shop to talk with them about it, but I'd like to tap the wisdom of TBN members first. Thanks!

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #2  
Short answer is no there is likely now easy or economical way to increase the tow capacity of your Expedition in order to acomodate that particular combo of tractor and trailer. As well even if you could get your vehicle up snuff to tow that much I don't think that there is any really feasible way to be able to get it certified so that it's legal.

To put it in perspective your Expedition is capable of towing at the most around 7200lbs. (According to trailerlife.com's 1999 guide there were Expeditions rated for about 8300) That particular trailer/tractor combo goes around 10,700, by your numbers. You're over your max tow limit by roughly 3,500lbs which is close to the total weight of the trailer in question.

Sorry man, if your only tow vehicle is the Expedition I would possible consider a rollback service, or getting assistance from your friend for getting your tractor in for service.

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #3  
trailer capacity minus trailer weight looks like it leaves you 6300# payload. that's just looking at the trailer #'s not the truck. that 750# implement would have to weight about 300# to make the dry deadline. not counting binder straps.. a spare.. gas gan and all the lil thigs you forget about. wheel chocks.. etc.

would i pull that 1 % overlaod running down the road 1x per year. sure would i want that as my regular trailer.... nope.. not me anyway.

be safe.

good luck!

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #4  
Based on the numbers you have, you are over the trailer capacity and the trucks. The trailer only has a payload of 6,300 lbs, so you tractor and implement are 700 lbs over. The GCWR of 13,500 lbs and a base curb of 5,350 lbs only leaves you 8,150 lbs max trailer less you, passengers, and any other stuff you have in the vehicle. None of this includes the ties downs, weight distribution hitch, etc. Also if the curb weight are based on published values and not actual scale measurements, you will need to subtract the weight of any factory options and aftermarket equipment weight. I would pass until you can upgrade to a larger truck and trailer.

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #5  
I wouldn't. That's about a comfortable load for my 7.3 diesel F250... I pull it with the wife's Excursion if I 'had to' but the truck is better, heavier rear springs handle the tounge weight better. Having towed what I have, I wouldn't touch it with a 1/2 ton SUV no matter what the book said it could handle.

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #6  
For that trailer and load, you need a minimum of a 3/4 T truck or a Ton truck. I recently purchased a similar trailer, a 16+4 Corn Pro deck over to haul my CK 30 w/ and pull w/ my F150.
Too much for truck, I wound up finding a very nice '98 Chevy 3500 flatbed. Handles it much better.

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #7  
A modern 1/2 ton like the F150, GM's, Tundra, ect could do it but I would not do it with a Expedition.

Chris

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #8  
I'll go against the oweight here, though not entirely.

First, GCWR is not a legal number. Whereas a Gross Axle Weight Rating or gross vehicle weight rating, are enforceable numbers not to be exceeded, the gross combined weight rating is a manufacturer recommendation.

For example, my truck is the base model they made that year. The details are in my signature, but anyway, it has the same axle, brakes, and suspension as the same truck with a 7.3 turbo diesel, or 460 v8. My truck's gcwr is 10,000. Some of the others are approaching 20,000. Gcwr takes horsepower into account. I feel that I can tow the same load safely despite the fact that it'll take me longer. So, if you can keep all the magic numbers, gvwr, gawrs, and tongue weight, you can legally tow the load.

You would still need to make sure the trailer isn't over loaded and that you have a brake controller.

Also, since you say it'd be handy, and you'd like to use it mostly to drive to the dealership, I say buy it. If you need to go to the dealer, you don't need any implements, and you probably don't even need your loader.

/ 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition?
It sounds like I'm gonna need a bigger truck, apologies to Roy Scheider.

Just noticed that in my original post I transposed the ratings for the Expedition (GCWR is 13,500 and the GVWR is 7200). But I think everyone caught that.

I'll probably just pass on the trailer, and hire the hauling done as I need it, rather than get into truck shopping. I'd be a bit over the trailer payload limit anyway, even after I dropped the QA bucket and implement. Just not worth risking an accident. But $1000 for that trailer would be pretty sweet, and it was nice thinking about the possibilities for awhile. :)

Thanks very much to all of you for the replies. Really appreciate it.

Last edited:
   / 20' 10K Deckover behind '99 Expedition? #10  
If it is in decent shape, that is a great deal.