2003 F150 Fuel Pump Replacement

/ 2003 F150 Fuel Pump Replacement
That is a whole other rant but I absolutely agree. It is perfectly bizarre to have to remove beds and/or tanks to fix a problem that is clearly a common one on older trucks. I am sure there are efficiency gains but doubt that they outweigh the hassle of replacement which would otherwise be simple, cheap and easy. But, simple cheap and easy no longer seem like priorities for any auto maker.

/ 2003 F150 Fuel Pump Replacement #22  
Cant understand why fuel pumps cant be mounted on the frame rails and accessible.
mine is in the tank. mini van. I replaced the pump 3 times in 1 month for various reasons.

1. Bought wrong pump

2. New pump was defective

3. Bone head technician (me) didn't know that the ignition system sends voltage to the pump when you turn the key.....for about 3 seconds. If the car doesn't start it removes the voltage. I'm always alone so I turn the key, get out, crawl under for the 50th time, no voltage! Try something else.

PITA

/ 2003 F150 Fuel Pump Replacement #23  
That is a whole other rant but I absolutely agree. It is perfectly bizarre to have to remove beds and/or tanks to fix a problem that is clearly a common one on older trucks. I am sure there are efficiency gains but doubt that they outweigh the hassle of replacement which would otherwise be simple, cheap and easy. But, simple cheap and easy no longer seem like priorities for any auto maker.

It's really not a common problem. At all.

Unless you drive around with a 1/4 tank or less of fuel all the time or -- Quite often, anyway. Then, it's a common problem. The gas in the tank cools the fuel pump. The pump likes to be submerged in gas.

Even if you don't, even if you keep a 1/2 tank of fuel in it all the time -- It can still happen. Just not nearly as often.

And yeah, it's a PITD but I've done it and it basically sucks but it can be done with a little help. Empty the tank first, Floor jack, a couple pairs of hands, beer, a few words you would never use in front of your mother.... Replace the fuel filter while you're getting gas all over yourself. Check the tank for dirt and filth. Install, drive for another 20 years.

Good luck

/ 2003 F150 Fuel Pump Replacement #24  
I replaced the fuel pump on my 97 F150 about 5 years ago. The truck doesn't see a lot of rain so I was able to get the tank straps loose without too much trouble and dropped the tank using a floor jack.
What peaves me is how they used the lowest quality brake lines found. I replaced all the lines with copper/nickel after the cheap steel lines sprung leaks.

The problem is common enough that I have had two Fords with the issue. (My daughter and her husband inherited the other one and footed that bill.) Neither spent much time with low fuel. Both well cared for. Youtube is also full of videos regarding the problem. I've known folks with various brands who have had the problem. So no, not common, but common enough that you wouldn't call it rare either.

And again, you have to juxtapose that level of frequency with the money most people (who are not or can not drop a fuel tank or remove a truck bed) have to spend to fix an otherwise simple and cheap failure.

If I remember correctly my older Japanese trucks (1980s) had fuel pumps on the frame rail. I have no idea where the fuel pump on my Nissan Titan is. In the tank I'm assuming.

/ 2003 F150 Fuel Pump Replacement #26  
The problem is common enough that I have had two Fords with the issue. (My daughter and her husband inherited the other one and footed that bill.) Neither spent much time with low fuel. Both well cared for. Youtube is also full of videos regarding the problem. I've known folks with various brands who have had the problem. So no, not common, but common enough that you wouldn't call it rare either.

And again, you have to juxtapose that level of frequency with the money most people (who are not or can not drop a fuel tank or remove a truck bed) have to spend to fix an otherwise simple and cheap failure.

If I remember correctly my older Japanese trucks (1980s) had fuel pumps on the frame rail. I have no idea where the fuel pump on my Nissan Titan is. In the tank I'm assuming.
My brother, until recently, owned a 6 Bay, 5 Lift auto repair shop. Not real big, not small either.

We got them. But not that often. Our chief Mechanic (a very good one) told me that it was, indeed, from driving around with little to no fuel in the fuel tank. The new in-tank fuel pumps like to be submerged.

I'm trying to help peoople by letting them know. That's all. Do as you wish.

Good luck

As mentioned, neither of my Fords was ever driven repeatedly with low gas and in fact the one I'm working on now I kept very near full of gas for the last 4 years since it was only used on weekends. So that isn't the issue in this case.

Having said that, since I'm not a mechanic and did not do any electrical or pressure testing there is a real chance that my problem is not the fuel pump at all and that I have misdiagnosed the problem. Which means that I might have done all of this for nothing. That's the way it goes sometimes for us shade tree mechanics.

Anyway, I'm heading back down this afternoon to put it all back together so we'll see. And regardless of the problem if I don't put it all back together right there may be new problems. ;-)

Got the pump in and the tank in and the fuel filter changed. What a goat rope. Took about three hours. The fuel filter was a real hassle. In the frame rail but up against a cross member where you can barely get your hand in there and can't see much. I just don't get it. One foot toward the rear and it would have been easy to access.

Anyway, it cranked right up and runs fine. Don't have the bed on yet. Too tired (and out of shape!). I'll drive it again and put the bed on tomorrow if everything still runs okay.

Not sure it has been worth it. When all is said and done I figure it will have taken me about 7 or 8 hours of labor and about $150 in parts. Probably could have just stayed at work and gotten some overtime and paid a mechanic to do it and broken even.

I suppose I could have done it in half the time with good help.

/ 2003 F150 Fuel Pump Replacement #29  
They were probably carbureted. ISTR the fuel pump in the tank thing started in the late 80s with the higher pressures required for EFI.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
Makes sense.