2003 PT425. Is the correct wheel motor?

/ 2003 PT425. Is the correct wheel motor? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi folks,

Thanks as always for the invaluable advice here.

I have a PT425 from 2003.

I was out with my trusty field mower when I noticed the left rear wheel motor was leaking oil rather badly.

Investigation shows it's leaking right around the hub (see photos). The motor is stamped with the number "CE013999"

IMG_7076.jpgIMG_7069.jpgIMG_7073.jpgIMG_7071.jpg

I talked to Terry at PT and will be sending the motor in for repair. I don't have the correct equipment to change out an internal bearing. (unless you folks convince me otherwise)

I figured it might be wise to have a spare wheel motor on-hand as if one has gone the others might not be far behind.

Searching this forum led me to KentT's post:

"(PT425 build in 2002 has the following White Hydraulics wheel motor): 400230W3122AAA per earlier reports here.

400 = normal rotation (i.e. timing)
230 = 14.2ci
W31 = 4-Hole Front Ports, 7/8" O-ring
22 = 1.25" tapered shaft
A = Dark Metallic Gray paint
AA = no options or add-ons"

Is this correct?

Sincerely,

Rob :)

/ 2003 PT425. Is the correct wheel motor? #2  
Yes, that should be the correct wheel motor for the "newer" PT-425's. But I thought they changed to the new style in 2005 or so. You might ask Terry if you have the "newer" 14.2 cu. in. wheel motors.

/ 2003 PT425. Is the correct wheel motor?
Yes, that should be the correct wheel motor for the "newer" PT-425's. But I thought they changed to the new style in 2005 or so. You might ask Terry if you have the "newer" 14.2 cu. in. wheel motors.

Hi there, I called and spoke to Terry. He said it was the older, smaller motor. Is there any way for me to check on the motor itself for the exact replacement?

Thanks,

/ 2003 PT425. Is the correct wheel motor? #4  
Is there any way for me to check on the motor itself for the exact replacement?

Yes. Go to Danfoss / White Drive Products 1129516 White RS Hydraulic Motor WHI 2:eek:A111ZAAAA, scroll down and download the brochure (note, this page is not your specific motor...it's just a link where you can find the brochure for your motor). Then, based on the dimensions or weight of the motor, you can confirm the size.

My best guess...you have a 200 series (clockwise rotation) 205 (12.5 cu. in. displacement). Next, determine the mounting (2 or 4 hole), Port size (1/2" or 7/8"), and shaft (probably 1" tapered). Those are the main specifications. After that, it's AAAA for black paint, no cartridge option, no add-ons and not misc options.

You can confirm the displacement by the physical dimensions/weight of the motor (see page 12 of the brochure).

/ 2003 PT425. Is the correct wheel motor? #5  
Opps...now that I looked at your pictures in greater detail...it look like you do have a CE series motor, not an RS (like the earlier PT-425's). When you get the motor back, provide some pictures of the rear of the motor. It's possible they went to the 12.4 cu. in. CE motor before going to the 14.2 displacement. Once you determine the motor family (RS or CE), then the physical dimensions and weight will determine the displacement. Then you need to measure port size and shaft size to get the full specification.

Hi marrt for your gracious and informative replies.

I feel really dumb, I turned the motor over and there's the model number right there... 400230W3122AAAAA

Duh.

OK, dumb follow-on question - are all the wheel motors identical, or do they differ on left and right sides?

Thanks,

/ 2003 PT425. Is the correct wheel motor? #8  
All the same

/ 2003 PT425. Is the correct wheel motor? #9  
Hmmm, something doesn't seem exactly right. First, PT never leaves the model tag on the motor. Second, this motor is the larger displacement (which, according to your call with Terry, you should not have on that tractor). Are you the original owner of the tractor? Are you sure the motor has not been replaced? Can you tell if all four motors look, more or less, the same?

As to your question, all the motors should be identical. Just take care to note how the hoses are connected...or, put the tractor on blocks when connecting a new motor to ensure correct rotation. It's a good idea to put the tractor on blocks anytime a motor or drive pump is replaced to minimize fatigue while the system is removing air from the drive circuit. Rotate the wheels very slowly at first to minimize cavitation.

Hmmm, something doesn't seem exactly right. First, PT never leaves the model tag on the motor. Second, this motor is the larger displacement (which, according to your call with Terry, you should not have on that tractor). Are you the original owner of the tractor? Are you sure the motor has not been replaced? Can you tell if all four motors look, more or less, the same?

As to your question, all the motors should be identical. Just take care to note how the hoses are connected...or, put the tractor on blocks when connecting a new motor to ensure correct rotation. It's a good idea to put the tractor on blocks anytime a motor or drive pump is replaced to minimize fatigue while the system is removing air from the drive circuit. Rotate the wheels very slowly at first to minimize cavitation.

Hi there marrt,

I admit it seems confusing.

1) I am the original owner!
2) It is from 2003.
3) The model tag IS on the motor! (perhaps this is before they started "anonymizing" the motors...) See attachment.
4) I am sure the motor has NOT been replaced. (that's related to #1)
5) All the motors appear identical.
6) I did tag the hoses to prevent screw-up on reassembly :)

Thanks for the helpful hints. I appreciate all the comments. :)

-Rob

Attachments

• IMG_7082.JPG
    IMG_7082.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 121

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2024 Greatbear UNUSED 66 in. Hydraulic Rock Bucket (A33548)
2024 Greatbear...
JOHN DEERE ROTARY CUTTER (A32908)
JOHN DEERE ROTARY...
2018 RAM 3500 (A32908)
2018 RAM 3500 (A32908)
Bobcat 20" CL2 Trench Bucket (A32803)
Bobcat 20" CL2...
Priefert Feeder (A33041)
Priefert Feeder...
1963 John Deere 4010 Tractor (A33041)
1963 John Deere...