2004 B7610 will not start

/ 2004 B7610 will not start #21  
When you use the remote and hear a "spinning sound" is the engine mechanically turning over? Or are you only hearing the armature spin? In the latter case I'd investigate the drive pinion clutch and gear or simply replace the starter motor. Next question would be do you hear the same "spinning sound" when you use the key or do you also have another issue with wiring and/or a safety switch?

/ 2004 B7610 will not start
When you use the remote and hear a "spinning sound" is the engine mechanically turning over? Or are you only hearing the armature spin? In the latter case I'd investigate the drive pinion clutch and gear or simply replace the starter motor. Next question would be do you hear the same "spinning sound" when you use the key or do you also have another issue with wiring and/or a safety switch?
Engine does not turn over

/ 2004 B7610 will not start #23  
When working as an electrician I learned years ago to always start my troubleshooting from the beginning and proceed logically through the circuit step-by-step. Verify the integrity of the circuit, beginning with the source (battery), connections (cabes and wiring harness connectors), and finally any controls (safety switches, solenoids, etc.). To reduce future problems with the starting system, now is a god time to baseline the system. I assume it's already been suggested to test your battery. Verify proper electrolyte level. Consider testing electrolyte specific gravity with a battery hydrometer. Consider taking it to your local auto supply house and requesting they load test the battery; you may read 12.6v w/ no load but it may not have sufficient cold cranking amp capacity under load to correctly operate the starter or turn the engine over due to one or more bad cells. Regardless of all else, be sure to disconnect and clean to shiny metal all battery cable terminal connections (battery posts, solenoid posts, starter posts, anywhere the full-size battery cables terminate). Use a fine wire brush, battery post cleaning tool or fine emery cloth. Consider appying a dab of oxide inhibitor to all these connections. Your auto parts or local home store sells this in the electrical dept. Consider disconnecting and reconnecting all safety switch terminal connectors several times to 'abrade' them to ensure a good electrical connection. A small dab of inhibitor here is a good idea too, just remember you're seeking a thin layer to prevent corrosion and oxidation.

I haven't read all the posts so I'll ask this directly: When you use the key I presume nothing happens? If correct, then after completing the steps above, use a multimeter to measure voltage at the battery posts. And then read voltage at the starter terminals when turning the key to start. Do you measure the same battery voltage there as well? If so, then it seems your safeties are functioning correctly, and I'd focus on the starter. If not, then it appears you may have issues with the wiring, terminations/terminals, and/or one or more of the start safety switches (seat, clutch, HST treadle, etc). Find the wiring diagram for your model tractor as a guide to troubleshooting the circuit.

Once the battery checks out or is replaced and the wiring and switches are verified, it seems to me that if the starter spins when you use a remote switch connected directly (bypassing all safeties) but the engine does not turn over then one problem lies with your starter pinion gear not engaging the engine flywheel ring gear. Consider rebuilding or replacing your starter.

Report back once you've tried these basic troubleshooting steps.

All Right guys still no go.

I gave replaced: Starter, Solenoid, the four safety switches, Battery, All relays and fuses. Everything test OK very concerned I am getting into wiring harness. I have worked on cars all my life and this one a=has stumped me hard. Can anyone tell me how to remove the cowling for the dashboard? I am running out of options. I think I am up to $350 but the repaire company is 6 weeks out before they can help me. Please help!!

/ 2004 B7610 will not start #25  
Fuse-able link? That loop of wire with connector near the starter.

/ 2004 B7610 will not start #26  
Just a shot in the dark:

/ 2004 B7610 will not start #27  
Have you done the voltage drop tests yet? Do you still get the starter spinning and not turning the motor over with the test switch?

Sounds like a voltage drop on your battery leads. Either the positive to the starter motor or ground to the frame. Those cables can break down in the insulation.

Again, I suggest you test and confirm the issue before buying anymore parts. With what you have already spent, you could have had someone diagnose it for you. May still be the best option.

/ 2004 B7610 will not start #28  
Ok got a remote starter. I did everything I was supposed to do. Connected it to the starter. I can hear a spinning sound but nothing from the engine. Any ideas?
Sorry I am bein a pain.

Sounds to me like you still have a problem with the starter pinion not engaging the flywheel. The other possibility could be that some teeth are missing on the flywheel. Try slowly turning the engine at the crank shaft by hand to engage another spot on the flywheel and try starting it again. If you still hear the starter spinning and not turning the engine over I would then say that it is likely the starter pinion that is faulty.

I hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Ok found the problem, now fixing it is a huge issue.

Apparently a rodent ate through a wire harness behind the dash, I am trying to figure out if I can replace the plug or will I need an entire new wire harness? See photos below

Attachments

• Tractor Picture 1.jpg
    Tractor Picture 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 46
  • Tractor pic 2.jpg
    Tractor pic 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • Tractor Picture 3.jpg
    Tractor Picture 3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
   / 2004 B7610 will not start #30  
Glad to hear you found the problem. Mice can sure do damage!

From the pictures it looks like there is enough wire to splice/solder and tape/insulate each wire back together to still use the connector, I hope so anyway. Otherwise I'd be looking to use individual bullet connectors to replace the plug or just hard wire it all together because when was the last time you used the plug?