2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill

/ 2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
Hi all,

So, here's the problem. When I'm operating my tractor, the diesel is the fuel filter bowl slowly drops. If I don't pay attention, it can get low enough to eventually cause the tractor to stall. The only way to refill the bowl is to loosen the threaded ring that secures the bowl to the fuel valve, allowing air into the bowl. It's like a slow vacuum builds and the fuel air return is restricted. I know its not the main fuel line, since when I pull that line from tank to filter assembly the diesel flows easily. I've also blown out the fuel air return line that runs back to the top of the tank. Is it possible there is a restriction in the portion of the fuel air line that runs directly out of the manifold near the fuel injectors?

Any ideas appreciated, and thanks in advance (I plan to try to fix this today).

/ 2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill #2  
Fuel air line?

You must be talking about fuel return (to fuel tank) line?

/ 2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill #3  
Replace the fuel filter. Do not check it. Just replace it.

/ 2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill #4  
My TC 35 is an 03. It is a primarily gravity feed, there is also an auxiliary pump to keep up with high rpm, mine was failing and tractor would not run up to full rpm after a little while. Found a thread on this site and replaced that aux pump myself and fixed the issue. Not sure if the fuel cap is vented from memory seems to be, anyway that's a quick check. Good Luck.

/ 2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill #5  
Most fuel caps are vented that I have seen. Loosen the cap a bit to allow air in. Secure a portion of cap with a duct tape so you would not lose the cap. The purpose is to allow the tank to be atmospherically vented. See if that makes a difference.

/ 2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill #6  
Check the cap and insure that there is no crud in the fuel tank blocking the flow.

/ 2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill #7  
Fuel filter full, dirt in the tank creating a blockage like a leaf, vent in the cap blocked. Doesn’t the 35 have a lift pump? Can’t remember…

/ 2004 tc35 fuel bowl slow to refill
Problem solved. I took the whole fuel return line assembly apart and found a blockage in the "T" connector. While I was at it, I replaced the two shorter sections of that return line (the long one that heads back to the tank looked fine). I do have a venting cap and did check that the vent was clear and operating properly. Just took the tractor for a higher throttle run around the field edges and had no drop in the fuel level in the bowl. Thanks all for the advice!