2005 Jinma 284 won't start!

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #41  
If you arc across the terminals that you see in this picture and the engine does NOT spin over, you have issues with the starter because it is spinning but not kicking the starter drive out to connect with the flywheel. Make sure the tranny is in neutral. Pull the starter and bench test it or serviced by a starter repair shop. It doesn't matter if it is "brand new".

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 71
   / 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #42  
If you arc across the terminals that you see in this picture and the engine does NOT spin over, you have issues with the starter because it is spinning but not kicking the starter drive out to connect with the flywheel. Make sure the tranny is in neutral. Pull the starter and bench test it or serviced by a starter repair shop. It doesn't matter if it is "brand new".

If you are arcing across the 2 large terminal shown in this photo, I would not expect the starter to engage the flywheel but should spin the starter. By arcing the 2 large terminals you have not activated the bendix. When arcing a starter, you want to charge the ignition switch circuit bypassing the ignition switch and any and all safety switches. It is only 1 step in the diagnostic process, and is dirty because it really does not point you any further toward the problem, but it does eliminate several things (bad battery/connections, bad starter, bad cables ....)

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #43  
Did you know.....
That machine probably has a safety circuit that won't allow the machine to start unless the machine is in neutral, someone is sitting in the seat with the clutch depressed?
Sometimes those switches fail or get moved or broken.
You really need to get the meter like Willy said before you spend any more money.

Last edited:
   / 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #44  
Did you know.....
That machine probably has a safety circuit that won't allow the machine to start unless the machine is in neutral, someone is sitting in the seat with the clutch depressed?
Sometimes those switches fail or get moved or broken.
You really need to get the meter like Willy said before you spend any more money.

But jumping from the battery cable at the starter to the ignition switch energizing terminal at the starter bypasses all of that circuit. It does not repair, but it provides information that the issue is in that circuit. If jumping those terminals gets no results, then go back to the battery and battery cables and connections.

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #45  
I'm speaking from experience on my 2007 model. You can tell by the burn marks on the terminals. ;)

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #46  
you need to see if starter is functional connect jumper to negative on battery and a good ground on engine connect other lead to positive on battery then touch or tap on the large connection on solenoid of starter. If I remember there was an instructional video on here that showed how to check starter. If when you "jump" starter it cranks and starts then it is somewhere in the wiring for the ignition switch.