2005 mahindra 4500

/ 2005 mahindra 4500 #1  

ribchord

230 hours hour meter stopped working

5 or 6 tanks of fuel later herd buzzing sound by relays whe key was turned on, and battery was dead.
pulled battery and charged, while installing battery the cables sparked alot but stopped.
tractor started great but all guages were dead. turn signals and hazzard lights dont flash but lights do work.

super light duty work, just shredding 20 acres and a little loader work.

the tractor is solid, no leaks and strong as ever but the electrical sucks.

need help troubleshooting, the warranty just went out.

the dealer went out of buisness.

tom

/ 2005 mahindra 4500
and he was a big high volume dealer

/ 2005 mahindra 4500 #3  
ribchord said:
230 hours hour meter stopped working

5 or 6 tanks of fuel later herd buzzing sound by relays whe key was turned on, and battery was dead.
pulled battery and charged, while installing battery the cables sparked alot but stopped.
tractor started great but all guages were dead. turn signals and hazzard lights dont flash but lights do work.

super light duty work, just shredding 20 acres and a little loader work.

the tractor is solid, no leaks and strong as ever but the electrical sucks.

need help troubleshooting, the warranty just went out.

the dealer went out of buisness.

tom

I'd check the fuses before doing anything else to the electrical system. My Mahindra 5525 has 9 fuses and they are located in the fuse box below the steering wheel, easily accessible.

/ 2005 mahindra 4500 #4  
Ditto on checking the fuses. Your situation is why I never get concerned with having a dealer nearby. Here today gone the day after I buy from them.:rolleyes:

/ 2005 mahindra 4500
thats the first thing i did. no burnt fuses.

also i found out that the dealer got bought out so there is still one close it just moved to another location.

/ 2005 mahindra 4500 #6  
I had an electrical problem, and the dealer finally found a wire rubbed through in behind part of the frame on the left side, just below the control panel. My 4500 has 186 hours, a blown engine, leaks power steering fluid, has had both stabilizers for the implements fall off, and is out of warranty too!
Oh yea, had to replace the battery last year too.

/ 2005 mahindra 4500 #7  
I've seen a few instrument panels go bad but normally it's just the tach or one of the other gauges not the whole thing. Every one I've seen go bad was within the first 50 hours or so. But something leads me to believe it may be something else since the flashers and turn signals do not work.

/ 2005 mahindra 4500
the 4500 has all the guages in one unit. i have a new flasher on order, the bulbs work just dont flash but it did happen at the same time. the thing is i didnt run over anything just been shredding grass only "plus a couple dog toys". i looked everything over and found no damage to anything.
was hoping maybe this was a common problem and could get some advice and just replace a part or two.

/ 2005 mahindra 4500
new flasher didnt help.........had electrition troubleshoot wire harness,, no problems... left key on, a week later put tractor back togather, found key on and battery dead.
charged "witch took days" and started, most guages worked but tach was freaky, flasher worked but one side was bright and flashed normal and the other dim and flased fast.
volt meter said it was still weak so removed cowling and disconnected battery to charge, found battery installed backwards.
turned battery around and reconnected, started good but no guages work and flasher dont work.
oops..
now i dont know if the original problem was just a dead battery or the guage unit that controls the voltage to everything.
but i did install the battery backwards "embarrasing"
i cant belive the thing started after charging it backwards.

/ 2005 mahindra 4500
new flasher didnt help.........had electrition troubleshoot wire harness,, no problems... left key on, a week later put tractor back togather, found key on and battery dead.
charged "witch took days" and started, most guages worked but tach was freaky, flasher worked but one side was bright and flashed normal and the other dim and flased fast.
volt meter said it was still weak so removed cowling and disconnected battery to charge, found battery installed backwards.
turned battery around and reconnected, started good but no guages work and flasher dont work.
oops..
now i dont know if the original problem was just a dead battery or the guage unit that controls the voltage to everything.
but i did install the battery backwards "embarrasing"
i cant belive the thing started after charging it backwards.

had altenator rebuilt, problem solved...
plus put in new battery

Last edited: