Comparison 2006 Massey 461 or new New Holland Workmaster

/ 2006 Massey 461 or new New Holland Workmaster #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I need a 60 hp tractor and have narrowed it down to a 2005 MF 461 or new Workmaster 60. Normally I would buy new when paying about same price BUT with lighter weight tractors, smaller engines and more emissions crap I'm thinking I might go used. The 461 only has 425 hours and looks like new. BUT by the time I put a quickie loader on it I will have 25-26k in it vs 28 in a new Workmaster.

The 461 is a stouter built tractor but used and with no warranty but runs like new. Thoughts?

/ 2006 Massey 461 or new New Holland Workmaster
Just drove a new Workmaster 60. Sounds like you can have one for about 27k with loader. Nice tractor. Well designed and layout out. Has shuttle and good power steering. Down sides are the rear lift assembly is lighter weight than my old Fords and Massey but says same lift capacity? Old tractors look like they would handle more weight than these new style tractors. All manufactures seem to be same now. Steering radius a little larger than I like. Maybe can be adjusted tighter but don't know. I also don't like the small engine. The 135cu in engine is used all the way up to the 70hp Workmaster. How in the world? Will it hold up? Other then these issues it's really a sweet machine. Still can't decide whether to buy a real good shape 10 year old tractor or go new. The old tractor is more tractor and only saves me 1-2k. But again is more tractor. Decision decisions.

/ 2006 Massey 461 or new New Holland Workmaster #3  
I have not driven one, but looked at the Workmaster series, was not impressed. Seemed cheap and light. Almost like putting farm tractor tires on a compact.

Yeah it is a less duty tractor BUT it does weigh 5k which is a good bit more than Kubota and other tractors in this category but I agree it's not the same build as the old school tractors or even like a T4030 or the new 4.75 powerstar. Build quality is good also. I was impressed with that plus it's comfort and overall design. If it had the 175 or 195 engine I probably would have left with it. That tiny engine bugs me though.

/ 2006 Massey 461 or new New Holland Workmaster #5  
I'd compare the transmissions. My MF 261 has a 4X2 and not having but 2 speeds in reverse is aggrivating. Reverse/low crawls and reverse/high is often too fast. I'd also check at Tractorhouse.com and see how many are for sale and at Tractordata.com to try to find out how many were made or the length of the production run. Parts might be more plentiful for a tractor with lots of twins.

Yes both tractors have a shuttle so plenty of reverse speeds. As for number of units the Workmaster at least in USA is way higher than Massey 461 or 563. Not sure about other countries but here Massey didn't sell many.

/ 2006 Massey 461 or new New Holland Workmaster #7  
I have no direct experience with the 461 or 563. Local dealer has moved over 10 Workmasters and so far no issues. I've got 55 hours on mine now and the only problem I had was a lost pin attaching the right brake. Guess it came loose brush hogging. The engine thus far has performed fine. I think that the 135 cubic inch engine helped facilitate the EGR and Catalytic Converter design over DPF and Regen technology used on other units. That's my guess anyway. Fiat Powertrain Technologies developed several technologies used today in diesel powerplants. I believe they will prove to be reliable long term.

New Holland built the Workmaster as an affordable utility grade tractor with upgraded features from the previous models. At 5K pounds in a 77.5 inch WB 4WD tractor they offer a good value. With loaded rears and FEL traction and stability is very good.

Issues:. The dipstick is difficult to access behind the FEL brackets, the fuel filler cap is high on top of the hood, and access to the oil filler cap is tight. Other than those nit picks, the overall design, fit, finish, and quality of materials and manufactuting is fine.