2007 JD 5103 won't start

/ 2007 JD 5103 won't start #1  

quick6

Tractor
JD 5103 & JD4440
I used the tractor last weekend with no problems. Tried to start this weekend and it turned over about 3 times then went dead. The battery and connections, including the ground to the frame are all good. No blown fuses. All safety switches are good. I disconnected the cold start sensor and it still won't turn over. With the key on I can jump the starter solenoid and the engine will turn over. (No fuel). I ran a hot wire from the + side of the battery to the fuel pump solenoid while jumping the starter solenoid and the tractor started and it ran as long as I held hot wire on the fuel pump solenoid. I have been told it could possibly be a bad fuel relay in the fuse box, but I don't understand why the starter won't engage if that's so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ 2007 JD 5103 won't start #2  
Have you checked the neutral start switch for continuity? Did you just visibly check fuses or utilize a VOM?

/ 2007 JD 5103 won't start
I just used a jumper wire on neutral start switch and VOM on fuses.

/ 2007 JD 5103 won't start #4  
If the tractor runs while you're directly applying power to the fuel pump you should probably investigate why it doesn't get power normally while the key is on. Perhaps your ignition switch is defective? A schematic diagram would be a great help as you start through the issue. It is also possible your fuel solenoid has a start coil and a run coil and one of them is defective.

/ 2007 JD 5103 won't start #5  
The attached pages come from TM4829 tech manual for 5103. Could be the fuel shut-off relay is bad. Look at the page on bypass attempt, it may help on why the starter is not turning over. Hope this helps. If you find out what the problem is please consider sharing it with us.

Attachments

• 5103 starting system.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • fuel shut-off relay.pdf
    611.9 KB · Views: 68
   / 2007 JD 5103 won't start
Update: Got the tractor started. It was a combination of 2 different things. First, the starter relay had somehow lost connection. I just pulled it out and put it back in and the tractor started. Secondly, with the tractor running I plugged the cold advanced sensor back in and blew the fuse, so tomorrow I'll go pick up another sensor. Thanks for all the help.

/ 2007 JD 5103 won't start #7  
If that was my tractor & living in a warmer climate such as Texas I'd save my $$$$$ & not replace that sensor that's had a long history of failing for over 20 years. That sensor briefly alters inj pump timing until engine attains operating temp & then has no bearing on engine operation.

/ 2007 JD 5103 won't start #8  
If that was my tractor & living in a warmer climate such as Texas I'd save my $$$$$ & not replace that sensor that's had a long history of failing for over 20 years. That sensor briefly alters inj pump timing until engine attains operating temp & then has no bearing on engine operation.

Had the same issue with my 2005 5103. Never changed it, just unplugged it. That was over 10 years ago. No issues.