2009 Ford with Mercon LV ATF

/ 2009 Ford with Mercon LV ATF #1  

redharley

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2230
Anyone have any good info on the above transmission fluid? My understanding is it is not compatable with previous fliuds. Someone has told me the LV stands for [life of vehicle] and I have heard it very expensive. 5.4 engine with a torque 5 trans has this trans fliud.Napa and the local discount auto store's have none or know anything about it.You would think towing a trailer you would want regular Trans oil change's. Any info out their?

/ 2009 Ford with Mercon LV ATF #2  
i had to go to the dealer to get it for mine no stores in town carried it

/ 2009 Ford with Mercon LV ATF #3  
From CarTech, Inc. web site:

Mercon LV is the latest Ford ATF, it is factory fill in 2008 and later Fords. The LV stands for "low viscosity." It is a fully synthetic ATF. It is not compatible with earlier Mercon fluids, so it should neither be mixed with Mercon or Mercon V used to replace those fluids. It is not compatible with any other fluid, either.

And from Lube Report: http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/mod...801818&u=lng&issue_id=000177964&lid=b11&uid=0

Last edited:
   / 2009 Ford with Mercon LV ATF #4  
I would just go to Ford and get the right fluid. When I had my 3/4 ton Ram with the Hemi it was plagued with tranny issues. I had it rebuilt 2 times in 68,000 miles. Anyway I wanted to change the fluid and filter and much to my surprise the filter and fluid was cheaper at the dealer than Auto Zone or any other parts store. I also found the same with motor oil at my local Ford Dealer. I can get it cheaper than I can at WalMart.

Chris