Price Check 2009 L5240 price check and concerns

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns #1  

mwark

Bronze Member
Tractor
L5240
I'm recently move to a larger property and have decided that it's time for a little more horsepower. I purchased a L3130 (new) in 2004 that now has 550 hours on the clock. My primary use for this tractor for the last 10 years was the harvesting of the annual fire wood and snow removal (along with endless odd jobs).

The new location will require a great deal more snow removal along with about 50 acres fields to bushhog. We also have nearly a 4 mile network of skiing/game trails so I anticipate a lot more chipping. Last years I started some food plot for the whitetail and I can see that this little hobby could really become a big part of my summer seat time. (I love the whole food plot thing!)

There is currently very little available locally that I think will fill the bill but I did go look at a private sale this weekend. The gentleman has a 2009 L5240 HST with cab, front and rear remotes, new front tires,heavy loader, 1500 hours. He'll sell me the setup for $28,000. The tractor is in very nice condition. I tried it out and it seem to run perfectly. The "auto throttle" was new to me and I think I will like it once I've spent some time using it. The cab shows some signs of wear but over all looked pretty good. He had the entire air conditioning system replaced last summer.

Although the cab would be nice at times there are some negatives for me as well (it won't fit in my garage) and I suspect that there will be times in the woods that the cab could be a PITA.

I know that this bad boy will have all the power I'll ever need compared to my trusty L3130, but is $28k with 1500hrs a fair price and are my reservation regarding the cab reasonable; should 1500 hours be a concern?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
   / 2009 L5240 price check and concerns #2  
I move from a L3130 HST to a L4240HSTC and it's quite a good step up.For a 2009 to have 1500hrs it was worked regular for sure.I have 750hrs on a 2008 and use mine year round.As long as required service was done I wouldn't be concerned about the hours.HST+ in that tractor is very nice,I do 95% of my work in M and toggle up and down.Auto throttle and cruise also are nice features.Cabs sure are nice when it's hot/cold or the bugs are biting.

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns #3  
Without knowing any more about the tractor it is difficult to say what a fair price would be. If it was maintained properly I think that would be an acceptable deal. You would really love the auto throttle when doing loader work. Cruise control and Stall guard have almost become a necessity for me when doing heavy pulling under varying conditions or power take off work such as bush hogging. The only downside of a cab that I am aware of is working around trees and the garage thing. They can be kind of a pain if you are doing something that requires getting on and off frequently. You will find the AC is a lot more important than the heater. Sitting in those glass boxes when the sun is shining gets really warm even when moving snow in the winter. The price on a new Kubota went up considerably, allegedly because of the new emission rules.

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns
Without knowing any more about the tractor it is difficult to say what a fair price would be.

I have no expert basis for this opinion but my gut tells me that $25k would be a safe price. "Safe" in that if I decide that a cab isn't for me I could likely sell it without a big loss. But I could be wrong.

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns #5  
That tractor probably sells "new" for around $36k-38k... so that seems like a fairly reasonable price. I'd start negotiating at $25k and see what happens.

You will definitely like the auto throttle feature ... it's one of those little surprise features that you learn to love without realizing it (I like it on my Massey anyhow).

The cab is nice to have but definitely gets in the way sometimes. Mine fits in either door in my barn, but won't fit in my garage. It's also a pain when you're hopping up and down a bunch, and you definitely need to be more careful around stuff. But, there are many nice aspects to it as well.

Good luck!

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns #6  
$28,000 for a 5 year old tractor with 1,500 hours and no warranty sounds high to me. The 5240 is a good tractor for sure, and that one should last for many years if it's been maintained well and not abused.

But you can buy a brand new Kioti DK50SE HST with cab for $2,000 - $3,000 more with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and 4 year powertrain warranty.

Or, a Kioti DK45SE HST Cab is probably right at the same price as the 5 year old 5240.

LS makes some equivalent tractors that are priced in the same area. Both are good brands.

The Kiotis don't have the HST Plus, but they do have some goodies that the Kubota doesn't (such as the external 3 point lift lever).

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns
I ended up finding a new (2013) L5240 ROPS , there aren't many 40s left here in New England. I was pretty happy to find one. I'm sure that I paid strong money but it was exactly what I wanted and will likely be the last tractor I ever buy. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll post a few photos of that bad boy once I get'um home.:thumbsup:

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns #8  
I ended up finding a new (2013) L5240 ROPS , there aren't many 40s left here in New England. I was pretty happy to find one. I'm sure that I paid strong money but it was exactly what I wanted and will likely be the last tractor I ever buy. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll post a few photos of that bad boy once I get'um home.:thumbsup:

Good for you man, congrats. What did you end up paying for that bad boy?

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns #9  
enjoy your new tractor.

/ 2009 L5240 price check and concerns #10  

congrats and enjoy the new tractor. I've had my 5240 for almost two years now and with about 260 hours on it, it has been perfect.