2010 Mule 610XC

/ 2010 Mule 610XC #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
I just noticed on Kawasaki's site they have another 610 model, the 610XC. At $7799 it's $500 more than the basic 610. But it has 26" instead of 24" tires, 8.1" instead of 6.7" ground clearance, and the gearing lowered to allow for the taller tires. They've also improved the brakes so they take less effort.
Not enough or me to trade in my 610, but nice improvements IMO.

/ 2010 Mule 610XC #2  
Smart move on their part -- might lure away some potential Rhino 450 customers. I loved the quietness and bench seat in the 610, but it just wasn't capable enough off-road for me. These changes should help a LOT.

Wonder if it is still governed to 25MPH or not...

I'm planning to retire to TN, and they just passed a law this year that allows you to register "medium speed" vehicles to use on any road that is posted at 40 MPH or less. The vehicle must be able to go 30 MPH, and not faster than 35 MPH. My 450 will be my "mail getter" and "golf cart" for the mountainous development I'm retiring to. You need to have a windshield and turn signals, but those are easily added.

/ 2010 Mule 610XC
Smart move on their part -- might lure away some potential Rhino 450 customers. I loved the quietness and bench seat in the 610, but it just wasn't capable enough off-road for me. These changes should help a LOT.

I'm sure it is. Besides, it won't even go 25 except on a long level, or down hill. It's only 13.5 HP.

/ 2010 Mule 610XC #4  
I think the 610's are limited to 18 -- which it won't do with 2 adults

/ 2010 Mule 610XC #6  

I'm planning to retire to TN, and they just passed a law this year that allows you to register "medium speed" vehicles to use on any road that is posted at 40 MPH or less. The vehicle must be able to go 30 MPH, and not faster than 35 MPH. My 450 will be my "mail getter" and "golf cart" for the mountainous development I'm retiring to. You need to have a windshield and turn signals, but those are easily added.

I think a smarter move on their part would be to re-engine the 610 and give it a little more speed and power. Then they might lure some Rhino 450 buyers over.
The 610 is a fun little get around machine with a lot of capabilities. It is a hard worker and quiet and so easy to get on and off of.
But it is not a real all terrain vehicle. low ground clearance is one issue that the XP has addressed. Now if they will get rid of that air cooled engine that will get you in trouble in water they will have a best seller for sure!

/ 2010 Mule 610XC
I agree, the 610XC with a little more power would make a nice piece. If they increased it from 13.5 to maybe 16-18hp it may be able to maintain it's governed speed up hill, with a load, which would be nice. I'll vote for a 500cc+ FI V-twin for the 2011 XC :D

/ 2010 Mule 610XC #9  
In comparison, my Rhino 450 is governed to 35-37 and will do it on flat ground if you have a long enough straight stretch to get it up there. It'll blast along jeep roads and logging roads at 20 MPH plus, up and down hills, all day. I never use low range unless I'm hauling/pulling something real heavy, or if I need the engine braking to go down off a roadbank or steep hill.

Not trying to sell Rhinos here -- but if you trail ride in hills/mountains, the Rhino is the ONLY sport/utility that offers true engine braking to "gear it down" going downhill. Everything else freewheels and you have to use your brakes... that is, unless the new Arctic Cats have something new. Kawasaki and Rangers disengage the drive when you let off the throttle -- you can give it a little gas with one foot (to engage the drive) and brake with the other, and get some engine braking but nothing that compares... I can "idle down" most hills without using the brakes much at all...