2011 'D' series lawn tractors

/ 2011 'D' series lawn tractors #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
I was in my Deere dealer today and I noticed a 'D' series of lawn tractors. Based on what I saw of this Big Box Mart rig in person and on the Deere web site, it's nothing more than a fresh coat of frosting on the same old 'L,' 'LA' series canine Twinkie.

Check out the transmissions they use according to the Deere web site. Hydro/automatic drive gives an infinite choice of ground speeds

• Tuff Torq T40 - D110, D120, D130, D140, D150
  • Tuff Torq K46 - D160, D170
List price for the D100 is $1,499.00 and the D170 lists out at $2,799.00

Since I say 'L' stands for 'L'emon and 'LA' means 'L'emon'A'de, I'm going to assume 'D' stands for 'D'ud.

/ 2011 'D' series lawn tractors #2  
How about "Darn It" why did I buy this. Had a JD salesman tell me some years back when these entry level machines first came out (stx and sabre's) that he doesn't sell them but he will let people buy them !!

/ 2011 'D' series lawn tractors #4  
I have an LA115. Last year I had a JD snow blade on the front of it and busted drifts 2x taller than the mower with it using turf tires with no chains. Only issue I currently have with it is, after it sits for a week or two and I start it up, it belches out black smoke for a couple of seconds. It has about 65 hours on it. I'd ask you guys what might be causing it to smoke on startup, but I'm afraid what you might tell me...LOL

Oh well, it mows the lawn and when it craps out I'll get an orange colored mower!

/ 2011 'D' series lawn tractors #5  
As always, "ya gets what ya pays for" :D

/ 2011 'D' series lawn tractors #6  
As always, "ya gets what ya pays for" :D

Yeah, I figured 1600 for a mower + the fact that it said John Deere on it made it a safe purchase. Lesson learned there. Like I said, it works fine but just smokes on startup. After it runs I can shut it off and restart it, and it won't smoke at all.

/ 2011 'D' series lawn tractors #7  
Deere made the decision apparently to go after market share of the cheapy line as well as their great line. I don't like it, but Deere prolly stays healthier that way. And their bottom line is important to stay in business.

/ 2011 'D' series lawn tractors #8  
Yeah, I have to say that the new look will take some getting used to... My L118 has 347.8 hours on it and is still going strong. I think it really depends on the mower itself, some last a long time, others barely get off the lot you buy them from. Its almost a gamble to get the right one. I was lucky. :)

Attachments

• D100 series.jpg
    D100 series.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 869
   / 2011 'D' series lawn tractors
Only issue I currently have with it is, after it sits for a week or two and I start it up, it belches out black smoke for a couple of seconds. It has about 65 hours on it. I'd ask you guys what might be causing it to smoke on startup, but I'm afraid what you might tell me...LOL

My L-130 does that too. Chalk it up to old technology called a carburetor and its choke. Kohler makes or did make a fuel injected version of the engine used by Deere; but I have no idea what the premium was for FI, which no doubt would put the L, LA, D series mowers way high on their price point for the market they are aimed at.

Yeah, I have to say that the new look will take some getting used to... My L118 has 347.8 hours on it and is still going strong. I think it really depends on the mower itself, some last a long time, others barely get off the lot you buy them from. Its almost a gamble to get the right one. I was lucky. :)

The look on the new(?) 'D' series doesn't bug me, after all it's a lawn tractor, not a Ferrari. I'd say Mama Deere smiled on you Jake with your L-118.

/ 2011 'D' series lawn tractors #10  
I don't understand the desire to compare the low-end mowers to the high-end John Deeres. Why? Compare the low-end Deeres to other low-end mowers and see how they compare. After all the issues and problems with my JD LA145, I still think I could not have a better mower for the money spent. I know for a fact that the parts support is as good as the high-dollar JDs because it comes over the same counter at my dealership. Comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, I do not regret my JD purchase. It's not the lowest cost mower and far from the best, but my dealer and parts support is as good as any model of JD out there. You can't deny the value in that.:thumbsup: