2014-2019 Silverado Fuse Box

/ 2014-2019 Silverado Fuse Box #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Wondering if there is anyone that frequents here that works at a GM dealer service/parts dept. I got a perplexing problem.

Truck is a 2015 2500HD silverado. Has a bad fuse box. (High beams not working....relay part of circuit board in fuse box).

I GM cannot seem to source the correct part anymore. Two weeks ago, I called dealer, gave VIN, he said it narrows it down to TWO part numbers and that they need the number off the sticker on the fusebox. Well....those numbers werent legible anymore due to powerwashing/cleaners, etc. He said they stocked ONE, and would have to order the other.

So I got the one they stocked. Everything looks identical except the new box has no MSB driver or MSB passenger fuses. (and no way to simply add the fuses).

Well I never heard of MSB before so I googled it. Stands for Motorized Seat Belt. Not sure what it does?

New box makes everything work....but Air-bag light is on and "service air bag" is displayed when truck is started. So....now I assume the motorized seat belt has something to do with the pre-tension of the belt before airbag deployment in the even of an accident.

So I called the dealer back and had them order the other box. Went today to pick it up.....it is also missing the MSB fuses??? Only difference between it and the other one they had in stock was a "lift pump" relay. So I assume it was a diesel fuse box. Parts guy said those two are the ONLY two that come up as parts with that VIN. And he said there is no way without the code on the box itself.

Well....just so happens we have another 2015 identical truck at work. And I confirmed it DOES have the MSB fuses. So I got the code and called dealer back. Still no dice....it was a no longer valid number, been superseded several times, and ultimately comes back to one of the two boxes I have already looked at. Only thing he could tell me was maybe find a used one?

How is GM this clueless with part numbers. I have tried googling and cannot find anything referencing this issue.

My concern is with the airbag light on, service air bag warning, and MSB no longer powered....what happens in an accident? Are the airbags going to fail to deploy opening up a liability issue? That is my biggest concern.

None of the "official" GM parts websites actually show pictures of the boxes....so its impossible to see fuse locations or what I would actually get if I ordered one. Dealer is no help. A handful of used ones I have seen on ebay DO show the MSB fuses....so why is this part no longer available at GM even though they list it as a replacement? And why are they clueless about it? I would think that since they are telling me this IS the correct part...they have told countless others that may just be ignoring the airbag light? Would think that would make them liable....no?

Anyone on here other than be ever have this issue on a modern GM truck? I think the 1500 is the same fuse box also.

/ 2014-2019 Silverado Fuse Box #2  
Wondering if there is anyone that frequents here that works at a GM dealer service/parts dept. I got a perplexing problem.

Truck is a 2015 2500HD silverado. Has a bad fuse box. (High beams not working....relay part of circuit board in fuse box).

I GM cannot seem to source the correct part anymore. Two weeks ago, I called dealer, gave VIN, he said it narrows it down to TWO part numbers and that they need the number off the sticker on the fusebox. Well....those numbers werent legible anymore due to powerwashing/cleaners, etc. He said they stocked ONE, and would have to order the other.

So I got the one they stocked. Everything looks identical except the new box has no MSB driver or MSB passenger fuses. (and no way to simply add the fuses).

Well I never heard of MSB before so I googled it. Stands for Motorized Seat Belt. Not sure what it does?

New box makes everything work....but Air-bag light is on and "service air bag" is displayed when truck is started. So....now I assume the motorized seat belt has something to do with the pre-tension of the belt before airbag deployment in the even of an accident.

So I called the dealer back and had them order the other box. Went today to pick it up.....it is also missing the MSB fuses??? Only difference between it and the other one they had in stock was a "lift pump" relay. So I assume it was a diesel fuse box. Parts guy said those two are the ONLY two that come up as parts with that VIN. And he said there is no way without the code on the box itself.

Well....just so happens we have another 2015 identical truck at work. And I confirmed it DOES have the MSB fuses. So I got the code and called dealer back. Still no dice....it was a no longer valid number, been superseded several times, and ultimately comes back to one of the two boxes I have already looked at. Only thing he could tell me was maybe find a used one?

How is GM this clueless with part numbers. I have tried googling and cannot find anything referencing this issue.

My concern is with the airbag light on, service air bag warning, and MSB no longer powered....what happens in an accident? Are the airbags going to fail to deploy opening up a liability issue? That is my biggest concern.

None of the "official" GM parts websites actually show pictures of the boxes....so its impossible to see fuse locations or what I would actually get if I ordered one. Dealer is no help. A handful of used ones I have seen on ebay DO show the MSB fuses....so why is this part no longer available at GM even though they list it as a replacement? And why are they clueless about it? I would think that since they are telling me this IS the correct part...they have told countless others that may just be ignoring the airbag light? Would think that would make them liable....no?

Anyone on here other than be ever have this issue on a modern GM truck? I think the 1500 is the same fuse box also.

Just a thought-since it seems you know what you need, what about one from a salvage yard?

/ 2014-2019 Silverado Fuse Box
Just a thought-since it seems you know what you need, what about one from a salvage yard?
Certainly an option. But didn't want to resort to that.

I just find it extremely hard to believe that none of the GM dealers around me have a clue about any of this.

/ 2014-2019 Silverado Fuse Box #4  
Just did some poking around and can't even find a reference to MSB fuses anywhere...Even the diagrams don't show that as a possibility. This is a stumper to be sure. Pblm with buying used is the used one may or will have the same problem as yours. Maybe check and see if you can get the old one rebuilt with new components.

Just did some poking around and can't even find a reference to MSB fuses anywhere...Even the diagrams don't show that as a possibility. This is a stumper to be sure. Pblm with buying used is the used one may or will have the same problem as yours. Maybe check and see if you can get the old one rebuilt with new components.
About half of the places I googled do reference the MSB fuses for passenger and driver. The other half references them as spares.

I am "assuming" GM didnt like the motorized seatbelt mechanism....and went to a different style pre-tensioner to work in conjunction with the airbags if they must deploy.

What is odd is that everyone I spoke with at two GM dealers seemed clueless as to the change and why.....and most importantly why I can no longer source a fuse box with provisions for the MSB fuses. Its not like I am working on something a few decades old. Its a 2015 for crying out loud. And the fusebox is obsolete now?

MAkes me wonder what GM does when they have a fusebox needing replaced at the dealership? Does it require replacing the seatbelts and re-programming the computer? I dont like this current situation from a liability standpoint. Because with NO power (no fuses) to a "motorized seatbelt"....and "service air bag" warning upon startup, plus air bag warning light staying on.....I can only assume that the airbags will not deploy in the even of a collision.

/ 2014-2019 Silverado Fuse Box #6  
About half of the places I googled do reference the MSB fuses for passenger and driver. The other half references them as spares.

I am "assuming" GM didnt like the motorized seatbelt mechanism....and went to a different style pre-tensioner to work in conjunction with the airbags if they must deploy.

What is odd is that everyone I spoke with at two GM dealers seemed clueless as to the change and why.....and most importantly why I can no longer source a fuse box with provisions for the MSB fuses. Its not like I am working on something a few decades old. Its a 2015 for crying out loud. And the fusebox is obsolete now?

MAkes me wonder what GM does when they have a fusebox needing replaced at the dealership? Does it require replacing the seatbelts and re-programming the computer? I dont like this current situation from a liability standpoint. Because with NO power (no fuses) to a "motorized seatbelt"....and "service air bag" warning upon startup, plus air bag warning light staying on.....I can only assume that the airbags will not deploy in the even of a collision.
I don't disagree with you at all. I'd check with some auto electric places they might have a suggestion. There's one near me in WPA

Hopefully going to have resolution thursday. Truck is going into the dealer. Having the air bag light on and the service air bag warning doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the air bags are going to do what they are supposed to if needed.

I have exhausted all my resources trying to figure out why GM made a change and no longer makes the fuse box I need.

We decided going with a used one wasnt a viable option. Because with two of them in the fleet....and planning on staying in the fleet for awhile....I have a feeling this isnt the last time I will be down this road. So not wanting to take a gamble on a used box, and then potentially be high and dry next time and unable to find one.....we have decided to take it to GM and see what their answer is. Maybe a re-flash? Maybe a different style of pre-tensioner is required for the seat belt? Maybe there was a TSB or something issued? Who knows. But the only way it seems for me to get answers is to have them look at it. And the decision was made to spend the money on a dealer visit rather than a used box. And then we will know what to do next time as a bonus.

/ 2014-2019 Silverado Fuse Box #8  
Your dealer will have to contact the parts rep to hunt up build codes and part numbers.

Got call from dealer.

Apparently there was a recall on the seatbelt pre-tensioner. But the fusebox not having the MSB fuses he said was NOT the cause of the airbag light and airbag warning. Rather it was a failed passenger side collision/impact sensor. That part cost $525 installed and the updated pre-tensioners were covered under the recall.

I cannot confirm, but speculate that they went to a different style pre-tensioner that doesnt need the MSB fuses, thus the fuseboxes were discontinued since the pre-tensioners are to be replaced under recall.

Im still skeptical that the missing MSB fuses werent the cause of the airbag light. Id wager a bet that if those two fuses are pulled out of a truck that still has the motorized pre-tensioners (pre-recall tensioners) that the airbag light would come on.

Again, I cannot confirm that. But it just sounds too coincidental to me. MY dis-trust for auto dealers has me questioning whether the impact sensor was actually bad, of if they just needed something to bill for. But its not my truck, its a company truck, and at the end of the day.....the $525 is a small price to pay for a business to know that the truck is going to be as safe as it can be in the event of a collision.

/ 2014-2019 Silverado Fuse Box #10  
Thanks for the follow-up LD1. I do understand why you are skeptical though and I would also have some dis-trust of the dealership stated conclusion. It does sound/seem as if something just had to be billed for. Don't know for sure but......