2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy?

/ 2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy? #1  

jawzx

Tractor
Ford 1720, Zetor Major 80
Ok, so here's the situation: We are a two-tractor small farm, we run about 100 sheep and it's just me and my wife. We make our own hay (4x4 round bales). The "big" tractor is a 2016 Zetor Major 80. Simple, rugged, efficient, comfortable, ice-cold Air con. Wife is very short and has a bad left foot. Driving the Zetor is pretty much right out for her, as the clutch press is serious. Our small tractor is a 1995 Ford 1720 SSS. This is a great little tractor, and it runs the tedder and rake effectively while sipping fuel nice light clutch, good ergonomics for a short person... also has crap seat suspension and a short wheelbase. on some of the rougher fields we hay my wife's physical problems (long story) mean that the josling she receives raking for me while I bale in the Zetor can leave her feeling like crap and at reduced performance for days. That's no good. The 1720 has a bout 2000 hours on it (had just over 1000 when we bought it), and is as mentioned, a great little tractor, and it sure is the hardest working 29HP I've ever seen. Although it *can* lift a dry 4x4 bale (with great caution), the 7108 loader is a pin-on bucket and though we have a spike for it, it'd be nice to able to handle wrapped bales with the small tractor too... In short, we've come to the conclusion that we've somewhat outgrown the 1720, and the wife can't continue to be beat up and then suffer productivity loss (and possibly future health complications) in order to help me make hay. It'd also be real nice to have A/C in the small tractor too...

Enter the 2014 Boomer 3040 II CVT. Local repair shop/used equipment dealer has one, bought it off an old guy he's bought other stuff from before. Says the customer has money and likes toys, but rarely uses them (vacation home). It's got most of the options, no supersteer, no deluxe trans (though I understand that just requires a switch kit and a software update), no rear remotes, it does have a loader and mid PTO. It has 84 hours on the clock. Asking price is $28,900 (would sell the 1720 and hope to get about $9000 for it). This is one of the last non-emissions tractors, and I have nothing but complimentary things to say about the Shibaura N843 in the 1720, so I suspect the N844 in the 3040 ought to follow that tradition... I did a quick run around the lot and it seems to drive well and as much as I can tell in 10 minutes everything seems to work as it should (A/C blows cold...). Tractor has been stored indoors and is clean as a whistle. I both like and fear the low hours. It had it's 50 hour service at the dealership... in 2017... but nothing since then. It's practically brand new, but It's also not had what I would consider a "solid shakedown". I have read a few bad things about the Boomer CVT tractors, but most of it seems to be related to initial quality, as opposed to long term. Here's a machine that's out of warranty and hasn't even had time to prove weather it's a lemon or not. For our work needs we'd have to add at least one remote (we run a 3PH bale wrapper and older Ford transport harrow on the 1720 with it's single remote), which effectively adds $2000 to the price, but we gain a bit more power, the ability to handle a 4x4 bale with more authority (as well as mounting the bale grapple), a longer wheelbase, better seat suspension, a nice climate-control cab, and clutchless driving (which I don't care about, but the wife will appreciate).

All comments accepted.

thanks

/ 2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy? #2  
That kind of money would almost buy a new boomer 40 cab with two remotes standard a 7 year power train warranty. Comparable ls probably in same price range both with HST and cruise.

/ 2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy? #3  
New 2020 LS 4140 cab with loader on tractorhouse for $30850

/ 2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy?
Man, I really don't want a tier 4 engine... the Shibaura N844 is a known (and well respected) entity. We do field/harvest work with our small machines and I can't afford to have it in the shop with a problem I can't fix with a set of metric wrenches and the repair manual.... then again, the CVT in the 3040 has me nervous too... as sheep farmers we somewhat uniquely overlap the needs of traditional big farming and homeowner machines. I've got an LS dealer less than 10 miles from me, and I have tried the current gen machines (same as the current Boomer) and didn't really like them that much. All the controls feel, fake... like a Kubota, but more so. I also feel like the older cab is a nicer place to be too. ugh. If this 3040 was a 12/12 shuttle I would have bought it already.

/ 2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy? #5  
I love the quiet cab, excellent hydraulics and HST with cruise in my Boomer 40. Did have a couple of hiccups with turbo but dealer took good care of me under warranty. I've loaded 5x5 bales two high on trailer with ballast in rear tires. It's a very ergonomic tractor for the operator. Looked at Mahindra JD and LS but New Holland dealer was closer for service. He also offered no charge transport for warranty repairs and a loaner when it was down. Good tractor good dealer.

/ 2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy? #6  
I recently traded in my Boomer 8N for a Workmaster 75. I never had an issue with the CVT transmission, simple to operate. It does take a small learning curve to realize that the 3 speed ranges are really speed limiters - 30% max speed, 60% max speed, and 100% max speed. The cruise only worked in high range. Set the speed range, run the hand throttle up to 2000 rpm, and the pedals worked just like a car. Press on the accelerator to go and the brake to stop. If you don't run the hand throttle up then the foot pedal will run RPMs up as you press on it but it was a jerky operation.

/ 2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy? #8  
We had a 2015 3050 Boomer. It was a nightmare we traded it to get away from it good riddance. Problems mostly with with CVT transmission not stopping moving when shifting forward to reverse and visa versa, hydraulic pump and hydraulic system also had problems with NH doing modifications to the hydraulic system at our farm. See strings on it here.

/ 2014 Boomer 3040 series II CVT... to buy or not to buy?
It's all moot, tractor sold already while I was I was trying to decide/pull the money together.