2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate??

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate?? #1  

mark2610d

Silver Member
Tractor
L3240HSTC
I just got a new to me 2016 Kubota L6060 cab and love the tractor!! The one question I have is the fuel gauge seems to be not accurate at all. The tank holds 13 gallons and some change and when I get to 1/2 tank it goes from 1/2 tank to below empty in 1 hour. I recently ran the tractor for 1.8 hours after it hit 1/2 tank and when I fueled it back up it required 12.9 gallons to top it off. Is this common with all the l6060 cab tractors? I have a l3240 can that is extremely accurate on the about of fuel in the tank. Anybody? The tractor has 530 hrs on it and looks to have been treated very well and kept in a garage.
Any body have a expert like this?

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate?? #2  
My Toyota is sort of like that, I do 3/4 driving on the top half of the tank. My M59 seems better at indicating fuel level but when the FUEL message comes on stop what you are doing and refill asap. My ZTR has a "low fuel indication light" only on one tank and I can run forever with it on, it's a mystery as to when it will run out. When my motorcycle says LOW FUEL I can easily drive another 100 km.

Bottom line every vehicle is different and has quirks. You need to figure out yours. I judge by engine hours on my tractor, the fuel gauge saves me trying to look into the fuel tank and guestimate.

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate?? #3  
Funny you should mention that. I have 5 Kubotas now and all inaccurate gauges. In my career, I traveled to Japan yearly to answer questions, field complaints. One complaint I got on my first trip was inaccuracy of our fuel gauges. Customer input was gauge reading empty and there was still several liters in the tank. This is unacceptable in Japan. Four of my Kubotas through the years have been built in Japan and the gauges all read empty long before they were out of fuel. I like a margin - running out of diesel sucks. Surely they don’t make different gauge calibrations for export tractors.

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate?? #4  
Kubota fuel tanks are often irregular in shape.

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate??
Well today I filled up at 1/2 tank and topped it off. Required 8.9 gallons. So that tells me this. First half is 8.9 gallons 2nd half is about 4.2 gallons.

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate?? #6  
My L4060 fuel gauge seems pretty linear, but I rarely get below 1/2 tank.

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate?? #7  
I fill mine when 1/2 empty,not taking a chance on running out.5 gallons seems to fill it;11 gallon tank.I burn about 1.5 gal./hr @ pto speed on my L4240.

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate?? #8  
My L4060 is reasonably accurate.

In general you are only suppose to fill up the fuel tank. Not the fill pipe. So if you top things up to the very brim, you are over filling the "tank". It takes a while to use the fuel in the fill tube to get down to the correct full level on the gauge. So it will take a lot longer to burn off what appears to be the first quarter of a tank compared to the the remaining 3 quarters of the tank.

/ 2016 l6060hstc fuel gauge accurate?? #9  
I ran a 2016 l6060 to about 2200 hours and now a 2020 l6060 currently to about 900 and they both were exactly how you describe. Ironically I just got called by a guy that took it to run a batwing mower yesterday to ask if the gauge worked because he had been mowing for 3 hours and it still showed full. I guess the important part is it'll let ya know if you're gonna run out.