2016 Ram 3500 opinions.

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #61  
It snows once or twice a year where I live so salt isn't an issue but I'm buying it from PA so it might be where it's coming from. Waiting on underneath pictures of the 2021 now.
I'd be very careful buying from PA. I worked on a couple newer GM trucks from PA that were like swiss cheese. I'd pay to have it inspected or go check it out in person.

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #62  
I'd be very careful buying from PA. I worked on a couple newer GM trucks from PA that were like swiss cheese. I'd pay to have it inspected or go check it out in person.
And even what part of PA. We have vastly different climate in SE PA where I’m at (very little snow) to NE PA where thay can get 150” of snow in places like Erie, PA.

If it’s a ‘21 it’ll still have the factory corrosion proofing on it. Very slim chance of anything more than a wearing of the coating on the bottom. Mine is a 2020 and still looks excellent underneath.

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #63  
Well, I know the OP decided on a older ford dually, But I have a '16 Ram/cummins/aisin/4.10/cab and chassis.

Two things everyone who is a dodge hater always cites is junk transmision and bed sides rust out. Problem solved with the aisin and a flatbed on a Cab N chassis truck.

The truck is a towing beast, and I wouldnt trade it for anything. Bought it in late '18 or early '19 I think (right before covid) with 60k on the clock and it was on the dealers lot for $35k (just to show how much prices have changed).

The ONLY negative I would cite is the fuel economy. I get about 12 empty, and 7.5-8mpg with the GN when dragging the tractor or mini. Total towing weight ~15k.

But the "empty" truck sits at 10,500# with a ~1/2 full transfer tank of ORD

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #64  
Well, I know the OP decided on a older ford dually, But I have a '16 Ram/cummins/aisin/4.10/cab and chassis.

Two things everyone who is a dodge hater always cites is junk transmision and bed sides rust out. Problem solved with the aisin and a flatbed on a Cab N chassis truck.

The truck is a towing beast, and I wouldnt trade it for anything. Bought it in late '18 or early '19 I think (right before covid) with 60k on the clock and it was on the dealers lot for $35k (just to show how much prices have changed).

The ONLY negative I would cite is the fuel economy. I get about 12 empty, and 7.5-8mpg with the GN when dragging the tractor or mini. Total towing weight ~15k.

But the "empty" truck sits at 10,500# with a ~1/2 full transfer tank of ORD
All of them get bed side rust. I think GM might be the worst because they also get bad rocker & cab corner rust.
Trying to explain to a Fordie that Ram is better, even when I owned 3 Fords as recently as 3 years ago, is futile. They have their minds made up. There was nothing better about my Fords than my Ram and quite a few things were not as good-of course the engine for starters. Cummins has no equal for towing.
I really like my Ram. Has had a few glitches, but really like mine.
I even have one of the years that requires the CP4 pump replacement. Mine goes in on 12/19.
Surprised your mileage is that low? I’m doing better than that with 4.88’s and huge towing loads. Here was yesterday’s delivery.

1671112141200.jpeg

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions.
I really liked the looks and specs on the dodges and came really close to buying a 2019. I'm glad I didn't though and bought an older much less expensive F450, it tows great and I have the cash in the account to get through an unexpected work break while permits in a new city clear. I could have found other jobs to do but it's nice not having to.

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #66  
All of them get bed side rust. I think GM might be the worst because they also get bad rocker & cab corner rust.
Trying to explain to a Fordie that Ram is better, even when I owned 3 Fords as recently as 3 years ago, is futile. They have their minds made up. There was nothing better about my Fords than my Ram and quite a few things were not as good-of course the engine for starters. Cummins has no equal for towing.
I really like my Ram. Has had a few glitches, but really like mine.
I even have one of the years that requires the CP4 pump replacement. Mine goes in on 12/19.
Surprised your mileage is that low? I’m doing better than that with 4.88’s and huge towing loads. Here was yesterday’s delivery.

View attachment 774690
Not sure why my mileage is as bad as it is.

Steel flat bed and xfer tank make the empty weight of the truck fairly heavy. Pushing 11k.

To be fair, I don't have a good "feel" for empty mileage. As the truck rarely gets driven without a trailer.

And I don't exactly do anything to help mileage.

I'm sure if I ran down the interstate with cruise set to 65 I could do better. And I did do that once on a 60 mile trip to mow the solar farm. Was in no hurry to get there cause I left plenty early. Set it at 65 and for like 10.5

But coming home I cruised 75 and got 7.6.

But most of my driving is within 15-20 miles from my shop, rural roads, curves/hills, small villages, etc. It's rare to be able to go more than about 3-4 miles without having to stop at a light/sigh, or make a turn.

But I never worried about my economy. The truck don't move unless it's making me money. And a 20 mile round trip for a $500-$800 job....the last thing I'm concerned about is the pennies difference between 7.5mpg and 10mpg

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #67  
I have a '16 Ram/cummins/aisin/4.10/cab and chassis.

The Aisin is only available with the HO Cummins, correct? Are there any/many disadvantages to the HO engine? I tend to be more reliability oriented in my engine/transmission selection even if I lose some oomph.

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #68  
The Aisin is only available with the HO Cummins, correct? Are there any/many disadvantages to the HO engine? I tend to be more reliability oriented in my engine/transmission selection even if I lose some oomph.
Cant honestly answer that. Didnt know there was technically a "HO" and a regular version of the cummins.

What I CAN tell you is that in 2016, my trucks HP/Torque is 325/750 and the cab and chassis trucks are "detuned".
A 2016 in regular pickup form Manual trans was 350/660 (more HP, less torque vs C&C??) and a dodge tranny was 370/800 and the aisin was 385/930

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #69  

As with any “upgrade” in HP/TQ, I would suspect more wear to the drivetrain, and the rear tires ;)
I’ll bobble along in my standard output (370/850) Its more than ever needed to tow loads that would normally require a single axle road tractor.

Trust me, the standard output is more than you’ll ever need. It won’t be a speed demon, but with a trailer in tow, it‘s towing capability is superb.

/ 2016 Ram 3500 opinions. #70  
My 2012 has the 68RFE automatic 350/800 stock
The truck has around 60 extra hp over stock so I'm guessing it's around 410/930 now. The 68RFE has handled it with no problem and the fluid is still bright pink.

I wouldn't put it out of the picture because of the transmission, just make sure the fluid is bright pink at some point during the test drive.

Also, some info here on models that have the Aisin transmission,
Looks like it started back in 2013