2018 Massey Ferguson Gc1720 with 20hrs-R4 tires splitting

/ 2018 Massey Ferguson Gc1720 with 20hrs-R4 tires splitting #1  

Nacademus

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720
I posted this in the MF forum, already. I think posting it here in a more general sub would get more eyes on my issue.

I have 20 hours on my tractor. I got it at the end of last year and parked it in my garage over winter. I used it to mow my lawn a few times.

I took it out on the first really nice day to spray the dust off of it and noticed my front tires appear to be splitting. Both of them.

It's tough to describe. The cuts go with the tire and span the lugs and valleys. There is no way that I hit something and did this. It's almost identical on both tires.

They are Carlisle Trac Chief tires. A mechanic friend of mine warned me that Carlisle were junk when I got the tractor. Now I'm inclined to believe him.

I contacted my dealer and they don't think they can help me. They are reaching out to a supplier and I'll call back tomorrow for an update.

That's all I need- to have these things explode on me while il trying to transport dirt or gravel this summer. It has me a little worried to say the least.

Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

20190422_191128.jpg20190422_191055.jpg20190423_225511.jpg20190423_225519.jpg20190422_191141.jpg20190422_191206.jpg

/ 2018 Massey Ferguson Gc1720 with 20hrs-R4 tires splitting #2  
I’d be frustrated for sure and go corporate on both agco and Carlisle if dealer can’t handle. Does it go completely around the tire? That’s bizarre looking for sure.

/ 2018 Massey Ferguson Gc1720 with 20hrs-R4 tires splitting
Completely around the tire. I'll probably call both of them tomorrow.

My rear tires appear perfectly fine. 20190423_225442.jpg20190423_225434.jpg

Haven't heard from the dealership. They're rather busy, I assume so I went ahead and reached out elsewhere to get some guidance.

I contacted Carlisle Customer Support. They actually weren't the least bit surprised when I explained the type of tire and the issue I am having...maybe its a bad production run?

I will share my findings if there are any with you all just in case you have issues, too.

The Carlisle Warranty Line is: 1-800-260-7959.

To process a claim, I am required to:

-Take photos of the tires outlining my issue.
-Include the tire size.
-Provide proof of purchase for the tractor-my original sales receipt is enough.
-Include my name, address. and phone number.
-Send this information to customer.care@carlstargroup.com

https://www.carlstargroup.com/Portals/0/Carlstar-Highway-Warranty.pdf

Then they will review it and get back to me.

They did not know how long this will take. I asked if they will cover the labor to swap them and they said that they generally do but that requires a special approval.
Crap.

Even if my dealership comped the mounting, I have over an hour drive to get to them. It just blows. Who knows how long the process will take and what, I have to hold off my early spring work because I don't want my tire to blow while moving stuff around?

Also, in researching the tires more thoroughly, they are quite anemic. They are 4 ply with a weight rating of 830lbs... I just don't think thats very good for a SCUT with loader, but I'm not a tire expert. Maybe they're fine, who knows.

tiresss.png

I tried to take some slightly better pictures of the issue. 20190424_193624.jpg20190424_193620.jpg

/ 2018 Massey Ferguson Gc1720 with 20hrs-R4 tires splitting #8  
Definitely something wrong in the batch - My 2016 GC1720 has ~300 hours and the tires do not look like that - heck they are barely showing wear.

/ 2018 Massey Ferguson Gc1720 with 20hrs-R4 tires splitting #9  
Looks like the layers of rubber they put in the tire didn't congeal.....maybe temperature was too cool, or timer on cook cycle was malfunctioning and was too short.

I had a problem with Titans crazing on my front tires on the 6530 when I bought it....little concentric arcs around the leading edge of the tread lug.....assume lack of adequate plasticizer in the rubber compound used on that batch. I took it to the local Titan tire dealer who took pictures of the tires and sent them to Titan electronically. He immediately got a reply, had replacements in stock, mounted new ones and had me on my way in an hour or so, no charge. I was really impressed.

Looks like the layers of rubber they put in the tire didn't congeal.....maybe temperature was too cool, or timer on cook cycle was malfunctioning and was too short.

I had a problem with Titans crazing on my front tires on the 6530 when I bought it....little concentric arcs around the leading edge of the tread lug.....assume lack of adequate plasticizer in the rubber compound used on that batch. I took it to the local Titan tire dealer who took pictures of the tires and sent them to Titan electronically. He immediately got a reply, had replacements in stock, mounted new ones and had me on my way in an hour or so, no charge. I was really impressed.

These are my thoughts, too. Something was awry in the manufacturing of this run of tires.

I have submitted the requested information to Carlstal with pictures. They are reviewing my case and asked that I wait a little while until they had time to look at it. It seems Titan works a little faster, haha. They did request my address and contact info-which wasn't requested initially. Maybe I'll have some good news before long.

I just hope the new tires have the correct manufacturing processes in employ and this issue doesn't repeat again. I am interested in other brands of tire available for my tractor. Maybe some others are a little more reliable.