2020 antifreeze

/ 2020 antifreeze #1  

DogT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2020
Should I bust a gut and head into the JD store to buy their 'Cool Guard II' or whatever it's called or should I just use a good brand rust inhibiting antifreeze at wallyworld like prestone? Is the Prestone cleaner OK to use in the 2020. New aftermarket radiator and cap including hoses installed after big bang the other week. Right now it's just got water in it, I need to flush out the old stop leak I had in it.

/ 2020 antifreeze #2  
Read the Cool Guard container. Someone says it says it is good for 6 years. It's unfathomable today that tractor makers are still recommending 1980ish maintenance of change every other year and flushes with changes. Everything else is 10 year changes of coolant.

I changed mine after 5 years. Should have waited another year. Quit doing chemical flushes eons ago and certainly do not do any kind of water flush in between. The lost anti freeze is enough pollution without adding chemical flushes and other stuff to the ground.

Ralph

/ 2020 antifreeze #3  
If there is one thing that will kill a diesel engine, is lack of cooling maintenance. Cavitation, coolant turning acidic and the silicates dropping out of suspension will kill an engine. There are reasons why industrial diesel engines have coolant filters, change those if you have them. I put coolant filters on all my diesels.

Over change the coolant on a diesel. Use the correct coolant, never mix, never use universal coolant...use the right stuff.

Simple coolant maintenance will save a person so much money and frustration.

/ 2020 antifreeze #4  
Coolant filter with lack of maintenance...This is what a non maintained system looks like. Even though Detroit Diesel says the coolant is good for 500,000 miles. LOL

20200629_085515-jpg.2355930

/ 2020 antifreeze #5  
How long did it take for that filter to get that way? In Years/hours/ or miles?

/ 2020 antifreeze #6  
How long did it take for that filter to get that way? In Years/hours/ or miles?

I'm not sure. A buddy of mine drives a truck and he goes all over and stopped in one day, so he showed me his 2 year old truck and engine, it's a DD15. I told him his coolant reservoir looked like they poured motor oil in it. He had the cooling system flushed and sent me this picture.

If I had to guess, on a two year old truck...around 200-250K. Which is way too long but according to these ELC coolant companies, only half used up.

On my powerstrokes, I change the coolant every 3 years or 30K. On my equipment, they get changed around every 200 hours. It seems about the sweet spot for me.

/ 2020 antifreeze
2020 is a diesel. It wouldn't be much of a chore to hit the JD store. New radiator looks to be copper, certainly not aluminum or plastic. I put water in it because when the hydraulic coupling got between the fan blade and the radiator, all the fluid came out. I didn't have anything decent to put into it after the repair. I'll forget the prestone cleaner although the manual says to clean it every year, but doesn't say what to use, much less what antifreeze to use. Yeah, I change the antifreeze in my cars every 5 years, if I keep them that long. No filter in this 2020 cooling system. At least it's not leaking now like it used to. I'll ask at the dealer if they think I should use a cleaner before I put the new A/F in it. It'll probably be the last time I use antifreeze in this tractor at my age and it's too.

I've never had any cooling issues with this 2020, actually it's mostly hard to get up to temp and I'm pretty sure I put a 175 thermo in it last time I messed with it. That's what the gauge is running at now after a good warm up and in this 90° heat. In the winter sometimes I would block the radiator to get the temps up while plowing snow.

/ 2020 antifreeze #8  
Read the Cool Guard container. Someone says it says it is good for 6 years. It's unfathomable today that tractor makers are still recommending 1980ish maintenance of change every other year and flushes with changes. Everything else is 10 year changes of coolant.

Ralph

Engine liners/block didn't succumb to electrolysis(holes from cavitation) yrs ago as they do in today's world.. I just had pistons/liners R&R in my '91 JD 4255 that had Cool-Gard utilized in cooling system for yrs. Coolant was changed at or before recommended intervals. Liners had no damage but o-rings at bottom of liners had failed at 11,400 hrs on hour meter. Several yrs back I purchased a Ford 6700 that had a crate engine installed due to hole in engine bore from electrolysis.

/ 2020 antifreeze #9  
How can VW TDIs go 10 years on coolant?

Ralph