2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #142  
Let's just get this over with...

MOPAR
Move Over People Are Racing

MOPAR
Many Odd Parts Arranged Randomly

MOPAR
Mostly Old People And Rednecks

MOPAR
More Old Parts and Rust

MOPAR
Mostly Old Paint And Rust

MOPAR
Most Often Passed At Races

MOPAR
Move Over Power Approaching Rapidly

MOPAR
My Old Pig Ain't Running

MOPAR
Miscellaneous Oddball Parts Assembled Ridiculously

MOPAR
Mitsubishi's Over-Priced American Replicars

MOPAR
Mostly Over Powered And Respected

MOPAR
Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly

MOPAR
Mutilates Other Products At Races

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #145  
Relieved! At least nothing Racist!

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #146  
A lot of that depends on it’s use. I would love to have the money to buy several trucks set up the same, but with different engines. I bet I could set the tests up to force a winner I wanted.

If I want the gas engine to win, I design a series of tests where the truck is started, driven two miles, turned off until cold, then repeated, hundreds of miles, at a time. Diesel just doesn’t do well, in that situation.

If I wanted the diesel to win, the truck would not be turned off until it had been driven at least 30 miles, every time it was started.

I live in a small municipality. When I take my son to school, it’s two miles, each way. This isn’t enough time to even get the oil to optimal operating temperature. Often, I drive around, extra, just to get everything cleaned out.

I use my truck commercially. Probably half my jobs are less than ten miles, total, for a day. However, I do pull a trailer. It’s over 5k, empty, and around 15k, loaded. When I do have jobs a ways away, the diesel would be fine, better even, but too many of my trips are less than five miles, total, to make diesel a good choice, for me.

The drawbacks of a gas pulling 15k are less than the drawbacks of having a diesel that rarely gets to optimal operating temperature.

You can short trip a diesel. Just have to know when to shut it off and when it needs to be heated up real hot.
There is NO WAY gas engines are as durable as Diesel engines.
NO WAY. If they were, there would be 800-1500 cubic inch gas engines in heavy trucks, tractors, etc.
They are NOT in the aforementioned vehicles because they lack torque, durability and fuel economy.
Look at it this way, if Diesel engines were $5,000-$10,000 more than gas engines and were the same durability, then heavy equipment and trucks would have gas engines in them.
But they dont.
In framing or complete engine replacement means time and money lost.
That’s why gas engine are practically non existent in heavy use equipment

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #147  
Kind of off subject, but I never give it a thought pulling off the highway in my 6.6 and shutting it off to get fuel. Should it have a cool down period for the turbo?

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #148  
Kind of off subject, but I never give it a thought pulling off the highway in my 6.6 and shutting it off to get fuel. Should it have a cool down period for the turbo?

yes, definitely.
I always cool down.
my house is at the end of a long private lane. I automatically cool down before I’m in the barn or the garage.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #149  
Ain't MOPAR now. It's Stellantis. :p

Nope. MOPAR is still MOPAR.

IMG_1280.JPG

MoKelly

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #150  
Mopar
Mokelly

Status
Not open for further replies.