2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #41  
Funny how so many people say "I cringe when I go up a hill and push my gasser to 4000 rpms". I get it, I'm the same way. Yet that same engine in a boat will run all day long at those same RMPs without anyone thinking twice. Boat engines have to meet a certain spec for their WOT. I think the engine has to be able to do 30 minutes at full throttle without doing any damage.

That being said get the diesel. Nothing like the noise of a diesel turbo spinning down after shutting off the engine. Life's too short to worry about a few bucks or what some eco warrior is going to think. That being said winter and plowing would probably push me into going gas. Occasional plowing wouldn't be a big deal but lots of push the pedal to the floor for 15 seconds, stop, back up, stop, and push it hard again is going to suck down a lot of diesel.
My day job is dyno testing engines for an auto supplier. Far more than 30 minutes... every new engine has to pass dozens of mules on multi HUNDRED hour durability testing at full load. They can take it all day long.

I think perhaps people cringe when revving up hard to pull a trailer up a grade, is that it's just not very pleasant experience for NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) in the cabin. On a light duty daily drive, the engine is pretty quiet or maybe you rev it up briefly here and there. It's not very calming to hear your expensive engine screaming away under the hood, regardless of whether its doing any harm or not. But I agree, theres nothing to worry about. In a boat, you get used to the steady drone, and with wind noise and the engines out behind you, kinda different experience. But also kind of obnoxious, haha.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #42  
Once you own a diesel and pull 10,000-15,000 lbs... you’ll never go back. Even in the flatlands.

If you’ve never towed with a diesel, you don’t know what you’re missing so you’ll be happy with a gasser.

I daily drive mine. It’s a six cylinder pre-DEF model with a few mods. It’s a hoot to drive, puts a smile on my face almost every time

I have towed with diesel trucks and don’t feel that the advantages are worth the downsides unless you’re towing pretty much everyday. And most people aren’t. My ton truck is a diesel but I won’t count that experience since it’s a far cry from anyone semi modern. I’ve moved my full-size backhoe quite a bit with a duramax dually and I’ve rode around quite a bit with buddies in other Cummins and duramax trucks. Yes the power is a lot better. Yes the engine braking is completely different league than anything the gas truck can do. And the mileage is probably twice as much towing although not that far apart for unloaded driving. But the trade off is much higher purchase price, much higher maintenance cost, astronomical repair cost when needed, noisy cab, poor cold starting performance, and anything that’s new enough to really reap the benefits of power is ruined with emissions junk.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #45  
And the mileage is probably twice as much towing although not that far apart for unloaded driving.

Not been my experience. Before my diesel I had a couple F350s with the 460 V8. Empty, both never got better than 11-12 mpg. Come to think about it, my old International "Cornbinder" pickup with 345 V8 also never got better than 12 mpg. The diesel, empty truck consistently at 18-19 mpg. To me, that's a substantial difference. Especially because around here fueling stations are few and far between.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #46  
I drove a 94 Dakota 6/auto and a 2K Dakota 8/auto. I would say them and my 08 Duramax all get about the same mileage empty.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #47  
Not been my experience. Before my diesel I had a couple F350s with the 460 V8. Empty, both never got better than 11-12 mpg. Come to think about it, my old International "Cornbinder" pickup with 345 V8 also never got better than 12 mpg. The diesel, empty truck consistently at 18-19 mpg. To me, that's a substantial difference. Especially because around here fueling stations are few and far between.

Currently locally gas is around $2.40 and diesel is $2.89 at the cheapest place. That’s about 20 cents a mile for gas and 16 cents a mile for diesel. You’ll never come out ahead savings 4 cents a mile fuel cost. And your diesel mileage is pretty much at the top end of around town driving burning ULSD. Most trucks won’t get that good.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #48  
Funny how so many people say "I cringe when I go up a hill and push my gasser to 4000 rpms". I get it, I'm the same way. Yet that same engine in a boat will run all day long at those same RMPs without anyone thinking twice. Boat engines have to meet a certain spec for their WOT. I think the engine has to be able to do 30 minutes at full throttle without doing any damage.

That being said get the diesel. Nothing like the noise of a diesel turbo spinning down after shutting off the engine. Life's too short to worry about a few bucks or what some eco warrior is going to think. That being said winter and plowing would probably push me into going gas. Occasional plowing wouldn't be a big deal but lots of push the pedal to the floor for 15 seconds, stop, back up, stop, and push it hard again is going to suck down a lot of diesel.
I have plowed with a diesel truck for over 20 years an I don’t notice any excessive fuel consumption. I think it plows better than my previous gas plow trucks because of the low RPM torque, which is where a diesel likes to run. Also the extra hours on the engine are guilt free since a diesel engine lasts a lot longer-typically 250,000 miles with minimal care. 1/2 million mile diesels are for sale all over the place.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #49  
Right now, diesel is only $0.20 more than 87 octane E10 gasoline. Not a big spread. Of course, those numbers can change.
I'm seeing more in the $0.60-$0.80 premium on diesel here in western Pa. You are in a better location to be a diesel owner than I am. That said, I run a '19 Ram 2500 6.4L 8 speed and a '19 F-150 KR 3.5 Ecoboost. The F-350 Powerstroke went bye-bye in 2019.

/ 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas vs. diesel? #50  
So we have beaten to death the up front cost. The mileage debate will never end.
However, Engine longevity and resale value are rarely addressed by the gas lovers.
If I want to buy a used truck, anything from a used 3/4 ton to a used single axle dump truck, the diesel will fetch $3,000-$5,000 more. Thats because the buyer knows the engine will last longer under harsher conditions and it will burn less fuel.
Even 4570 says he got his gas dump truck for $2500, and that’s a great buy, but same truck with a CAT diesel would have been $7500.

So the disadvantage of “up front price” must be addressed with ”greater resale value”

I would bet the up front cost minus greater resale value PLUS less fuel cost would end up about the same as gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.