2021 Current Lawn and Garden Tractor Market-My Observations Part-2

/ 2021 Current Lawn and Garden Tractor Market-My Observations Part-2 #1  

GT48DXLS

Bronze Member
Tractor
Very Modifierd Husqvarna/GT48DXLS
In the lawn and Garden category according to OPEI (Outdoor Power Equipment Institute) there are only two official categories of residential tractors.

Lawn Tractor or LT:

"Rear-Engine Riding Mowers and Front-Engine Lawn Tractors are self-propelled riding vehicles generally designed for mowing lawns. Nearly 50% of rear-engine riding mowers are used for lawns 1/2 to 1 acre in size, while lawn tractors are generally used for areas larger than one acre. Although both may offer options such as sweeper or snow thrower attachments, they are not powerful enough to pull a plow."

Garden Tractor or GT:

"Garden Tractors are designed to supply sufficient power for home lawn, garden and yard attachments: moldboard plows, tillers, cultivators, snow throwers, sweepers, leaf mulchers, etc. Fifty percent of garden tractors are used for areas larger than two acres"

Every other category are produced by the manufacturer as sales aids and brand garnish, but not an actual class of tractor and all that applies.

One of my favorite examples are the LGT or "Light Garden Tractor". This would seem like you are getting a Garden Tractor and what that implies. You are not. They will lack something in one of the three categories for "ground engagement work" such as a sufficient Engine (lots of HP), a sufficient chassis (possibly a "C" channel or welded chassis) but give the Tuff Torq K46 transaxle (the K46 is not designed for ground engagement work). It's clever but all advertising.

The other one that is common is the YT or Yard Tractor. This is to up-sell a lawn tractor as more rugged than just mowing lawns but not quite capable of GT work. If we look at your current tractor (YT46LS) you got an upgrade in the motor with a very durable Kawasaki motor and a "C" channel chassis that is proven strong, but you have a Tuff Torq K46 transaxle.

It's clever of the manufacturers and they like to confuse the purchase with things that don't really matter.

This is why I keep things grounded with the fact that there are only 2 classes of tractors according to the industry standard in North America, the Lawn Tractor and the Garden Tractor, and what is reasonable to expect from them and why.

The current market has become worse than when you last purchased with fewer real choices and sales around building disposable flimsy machines.

I will start at our typical box store, because they offer the cheapest prices and most availability usually, with 5 actual brands of lawn tractors, and regardless of advertising, I haven't found one box store that offers an actual, qualified Garden Tractor (they may claim it, but only Dealers offer true GT's). This means when you go to the box store, you should know it's a lawn tractor you are looking at. Knowing this should simplify your purchase to things like deck size and premium motors such as a Kawasaki versus Briggs and Stratton or Kohler, or your favorite color.

I can only give MSRP, but here we go,

1) Craftsman T140 MSRP $1,699.00. 18.5hp Briggs and Stratton motor, MTD's standard "C" channel chassis, 46" mowing deck, Tuff Torq K46 Transaxle.

2) Husqvarna YTH22V46 MSRP $1,899.99. 22HP Briggs and Stratton motor, Has the same "C" channel chassis you have right now, 46" mowing deck, Tuff Torq K46 transaxle. (In 8 years, nothing has really changed)

3) John Deere E150 MSRP $1,379. 22HP John Deere Branded motor (possible Briggs?) "C" channel chassis, 48" mowing deck (they are not offering 46" anymore), Tuff Torq K46 transaxle. (Box store Deere is a real Deere just fewer selections than at a Dealer).

4) Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT MSRP $2,099. 22 HP Kohler 7000 motor, standard MTD "C" channel chassis, 46" mowing deck, Tuff Torq K58 transaxle- this is a sizable upgrade at the top of the residential class, but "ground engagement' qualified starts at K62, K66, K72, or K92 according to Tuff Torq.

5) Troy Built Super Bronco XP 46 MSRP $2,099. 22HP Kohler 7000 motor, standard MTD "C" channel chassis, 46" mowing deck, Tuff Torq TL-200 transaxle (less than your current K46! a lessor transaxle than the K46). The residential class of Tuff Torq starts at TL-200, K46, K57, K58 and in that order.

6) Poulan Pro seems to only sell 42" decks for 2021. (they are Husqvarna anyway, not a contender in this class)

The premium brands in part 3.