2021 Western Drought

/ 2021 Western Drought
Funny, as a kid I remember the yearly steer going into the butcher costing more per pound than after processing because of the value of the hide, bones and tallow. It didn't make sense to me then. That sure isn't the case in my neck of the woods today.

Local cow/calf operations are already gathering and selling steers now, instead of the more usual May/June. Not much growing hereabouts.

All the best,

Peter
Interesting. The last market report I saw there are a record number of cows on feed right now. It puzzled me, because I couldn't figure out where the stockers were coming from. It sounds like ranchers in your area are clearing out their herds in anticipation of a short feed summer.

/ 2021 Western Drought
I do too, but fresh salads and other veggies and fruits are nice in the winter. That’s why CA along with a few other southwestern states and Mexico supply the grocery produce in the winter.
Some from the southern hemisphere. Peru and New Zealand are big sources of fresh produce in the US. Nobody alive can remember when only greenhouse vegetables were available in the winter in most of the US and Canada.

/ 2021 Western Drought #93  
Just read an article, saying the FDA was outlawing the eating of meat, effective in 2024; the reason being that it is unsustainable due to the fact that farm animals are the largest source of greenhouse gasses, i.e. Methane.

I was fuming; with the political climate I thought it was genuine, turns out it was an April Fools joke.

/ 2021 Western Drought #94  
True, Larry.

I do see a lot of our winter tomatoes in Michigan come across the border from Southern ontario. The greenhouse concentration in some parts is crazy.

1648824536565.png

/ 2021 Western Drought
There are a lot of huge greenhouse operations just across the border in BC too.

/ 2021 Western Drought #96  
Some from the southern hemisphere. Peru and New Zealand are big sources of fresh produce in the US. Nobody alive can remember when only greenhouse vegetables were available in the winter in most of the US and Canada.
They must go to other regional markets. Where I live, all fresh winter veggies are labeled either CA, AZ, TX, or Mexico, with occasional items from Chile and Ecuador.