2022 gardens

/ 2022 gardens #11  
I plow 18 inches deep after subsoiling 3 feet deep. This mixes the compost down in the lower layers.

I like big cabbage heads and have gotten to where we have 25 pounders on a regular basis.
Velly intresting. What kind of plow did you buy to turn soil 1.5 feet deep on your 4.5 acres ?
When you want fresh cabbage do you cook the intire 25 pounds at once or cook a little every day until it's gone?

/ 2022 gardens #12  
I plan to fully utilize this new bed. Brought up a couple FELs of creek overflow soil and topped with my compost mostly from kitchen stuff and wood chips.

Also have 6 little containers that sit atop the rails around the deck that are especially prolific for their size. Started them off with just potato pieces in mulch about 6 years or so ago.

Attachments

• Bed 2021.jpg
    Bed 2021.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Squash in bed 2021.jpg
    Squash in bed 2021.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Squash in bed 2021 inside.jpg
    Squash in bed 2021 inside.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 94
   / 2022 gardens
I made a plow that will go 24 inches deep, BUT takes a 5 bottom tractor to pull it that deep. at 18" one of the 560 will do the job.
When we harvest a cabbage head, we use what is needed for 1 setting then put the rest in the fridge til the next day. One head per year goes into the freezer cut up and stuffed in quart bags for soup or fry. We love fried cabbage!
The food bank takes about 200 heads a year and say they are great, so as long as they get used I guess size is not important.
One lady here get a couple to make kraut with. One head fills her 5 gallon crock.

We have 10 Earth boxes that we used at the other place when we didnt have room for a garden and I still use a couple of them to start seeds in to transplant later.
You can grow a lot of veggies in big pots with good results if you cant do a ground garden!

We try to get all of our needed seeds early before the places run out. Last year we heard that a LOT of people did get seeds because they waited too long.
Our onion and sweet potato plants are on order and paid for. they will be shipped at planting time here.

PictureL039 by sonny reese, on Flickr

/ 2022 gardens #14  
When tractors powerful enough became common years ago we went over deep plowing with the ag science people. They reccomended fracturing clay soils by chiseling to alow airation. Their research showed soil deeper than about 6" depending on structure is oxygen starved and required periodic tilling and time exposed to air before becoming productive after brought to surface. An intire growing season was lost to conditioning oxygen starved soil. Where acreage allotments were in effect and extra expense returned added profit,row crop land was pulled into high beds and alowed to rest. Shortly before planting,beds were busted into middles. The goal was airating max amount of soil which in turn increased production. Vast majority of land has gone to no till but the pratice is still viable for truck farming and gardening. No method ever produced wheat kernels the size of lemons nor half bushel per ear corn.

/ 2022 gardens
Trying to clean the onion garden off but got over 3" of snow last night so no gardening today! S'posed to get down to 6* tonight. Kinda tired of this crap!--time to hit the dirt and get planting!

/ 2022 gardens #16  
0 and snow here. ha, always gets me people talking about planting before mothers day.

/ 2022 gardens #17  
I put in a couple of raised beds last fall, intending to put one of my quonset huts over it by winter. Ha! That didn't happen and when I was looking at it yesterday there was still about 18" of snow on it. I took stock of my seeds early in the year and realized that I didn't need to buy any. Probably will need seed potato though, last year's crop was a big disappointment and I've come to realize that I have an early blight problem.

/ 2022 gardens #18  
I plow 18 inches deep after subsoiling 3 feet deep. This mixes the compost down in the lower layers.
ground stays loose on top and plant roots go deep.
This must be why people headed west 150 years ago. If I subsoiled 3 feet deep I would be about 24 inches into hardpan... if I didn't snub up on a big rock or ledge first.

/ 2022 gardens
Ya, not everybody has ground like we do here and the tillage methods will vary as to what will work for you.
We have the onion plants in hand and ground tilled up for planting --- BUT with 3 days of rain, planting is on hold! lol!