Mowing 204 and a finish mower

/ 204 and a finish mower #1  

jonrjen

Bronze Member
What would be the largest PTO finish mower be that a 204 could handle? I have seen them in the 5', 6' and 7' range. Also for those of you who have or do use them, do they do a nice job? Does it look as if it were mowed with a lawn tractor or mowing deck?
Thanks
Jon

/ 204 and a finish mower #2  
Hello Jon.

A finishing mower will give you a finished look, not the rough look of a brush/bush mower. Your tracto will handle a 4, 5 or 6 foot deck easily. The width depends on your terrian. If you have high and low spots or lots of dips and trees to go between a narrower deck is better. The wider the deck the more tendency to scalp the high spots which get straddled by the wheels. I found a supplier of a deck that has some nice info to help you decide. Note that the 20-30 hp guys get pretty heavy. Your PTO hp output is around 19 hp according to my manual. BTW I don't endorse this company, just has nice web pages and info. May very well be an excellent mowing deck.
http://befco.com/products/cyclone/c30.html
http://befco.com/products/cyclone/c50.html

/ 204 and a finish mower #3  
I think you'll find the PTO hp down closer to 16 or so. The 20hp rating is at the flywheel. Just take a look at riding mowers nowadays; 26hp to spin a 54 inch deck. And riding mower engines got a lot less mass to move around.

You'll find most 20hp tractor "package deals" limit mower size to 48" rotary cutters and 60" finish mowers. For all purpose mowing, I'd say that's probably where you should be looking too.

//greg//

/ 204 and a finish mower #4  
I agree with Greg. I'd get something just a bit wider than the wheel track of the tractor, thus a 60" deck would be most suitable. As for the 19 hp, I was just quoting from my manual. Being somewhat of a mechanical guy I know that's impossible especially with gear reduction and friction let alone power the rest of the driveline. But, that's what it says, 19 available hp, maybe that's in neutral. Still I agree it's probably closer to 16 hp if that. Most riding mowers are gasoline and the power/torque curve drops quickly therefore easy to stall. I have a 13 hp with a 42 inch deck and it does okay, but it ain't no brush mower!

/ 204 and a finish mower #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As for the 19 hp, I was just quoting from my manual. Being somewhat of a mechanical guy I know that's impossible especially with gear reduction and friction let alone power the rest of the driveline. But, that's what it says, 19 available hp, maybe that's in neutral. Still I agree it's probably closer to 16 hp if that. )</font>
There are 3 basic horsepower ratings, and it's important to know which one you're quoting. It all starts with engine horsepower; how much it develops before actually "giving" any of it away.

Rule of thumb: If you know engine HP, subtract 14% to estimate PTO hp. If you know PTO hp, subtract another 14% to estimate drawbar hp. Note I said estimates, as ballast weight and hydraulic loads differ from tractor to tractor. Assuming then that your manual rates the tractor at 19 engine hp, that computes to ~16 PTO hp and 14 drawbar hp.

Here's a sensible Implement Sizing reference.

//greg//