2210 hydro pedals sticking=YIKES!

/ 2210 hydro pedals sticking=YIKES! #1  

megotatractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2210
It is a scary and dangerous situation when your hydro pedals "stick" and the tractor tries to power on towards whatever is in it's path! I've had this happen mainly in extreme cold but now it persists long after the hydrostat is warmed up. Today I decided to investigate this in case the wife has to plow herself out tomorrow while I'm at work. I started spraying silicone lube on every linkage I could see between the pedals and hydrostat, to no effect. Then I noticed the rubber-booted strut on the back end of the linkage. This little "shock absorber" seems to be the culprit.

Anyone ever had this happen? Could moisture have gotten into this? I am assuming that to be safe the only option is to replace it. I tried plowing snow without this shock in place and it works fine as long as I don't try to use the hydro to stop - this results in an extremely violent reaction from the tranny and probably not good for it. But as long as I used the brakes to stop it handles fine. But since the wife is in the habit of stopping with the hydro I have to do something or hide the key. Currently have the "shock" indoors on the warm stove trying to dry it out...

/ 2210 hydro pedals sticking=YIKES! #2  
That unit is called a "dashpot", it is possible the viscous fluid that's supposed to be inside has leaked out, or the shaft has gotten rusted. Did you take the rubber boot off?

/ 2210 hydro pedals sticking=YIKES!
Yep, took the boot off, not rusty. I also pushed and pulled it by hand and it is pretty hard to move.

Got into Deere parts online - I'm having internet connection problems too today- it's called "torsional damper" AM115862

Attachments

• deere part.jpg
    deere part.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
   / 2210 hydro pedals sticking=YIKES! #4  
Yep, took the boot off, not rusty. I also pushed and pulled it by hand and it is pretty hard to move.

Got into Deere parts online - I'm having internet connection problems too today- it's called "torsional damper" AM115862

Common failure. I have had to replace on every machine with a hydro at some point.

deere.com parts lists this part at only $ 196.00 .... I REALLY hope that's an error!!! LOL

what are the effects of a bad tortional damper?? The tractor seems to "coast" until I touch the brake, sort of an out of control feeling. Seriously considering trying a new one unless someone thinks it's something in the hydrostat?

/ 2210 hydro pedals sticking=YIKES! #7  
ok .........................
I talked to my dealer today and we discussed the linkage. (verified the price of the dampener is $169.oo) I came home and checked everything over. When static (engine off) the pedal was behaving exactly as it does when driving. I removed the torsional damper (shock absorber thingy) and I had my wife move the pedals while I sprayed Panther Piss (WD-40) on all the bearings along the linkage. At the point that I sprayed the bearings on the last shaft before the transaxle the pedals suddenly loosened up and worked normally. Appears one of the bearings was nearly siezed?

I would like some feedback on how to lube those bearings without spraying everything with dust-absorbant wd40? I don't know if they are sealed bearings or what. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / 2210 hydro pedals sticking=YIKES! #10  
Are the bearings sealed? If so then the only real solution (other than replacing them) is a very small bearing packer (I have one from my model helicopter days) to force grease through the seals.

Also WD40 is crap...try some Fluid Film, it won't evaporate like WD will since it has no solvents.