2320 Hydraulic Leak

/ 2320 Hydraulic Leak #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have a slight leak coming from under the seat on my 2320 - I have pretty much determined that it is coming from a nut at the top of the rear, just below the seat (see the link for pics) and it just oozes after the Hydraulic/Transmission oil heats up.. Here is the original thread with more details and pics

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/227989-2320-how-do-i-stop.html

this leak started after i changed the hydraulic oil at 250 hrs (right at 315 hrs now).. When I drained the oil I caught it and then put that much back in, BUT it was still not showing in the sight glass (ever after running the engine and pto several times). So i added some extra oil so that it would show in the sight glass..

My question is.... Could I have overfilled it since it was showing in the sight glass before I drained it and then put that amount back in?? Andy by overfilling it it is pushing the oil out around that nut??

Honestly, I have not figured out the secret of the sight glass.. One day it shows nothing, then after using it it will show pretty much full (sight glass filled in).. Other times it will show full all the time.. Then the next time its wont show in the glass.. I have tried to be have the FEL down and the 3pt arms down when i check it to be consistant.

The over flow/vent tube right under the seat does not have any fluid coming out of it.. it just oozes from around that nut..

thoughts.. suggestions.. ideas.

Brian

/ 2320 Hydraulic Leak
Anyone got any thoughts??? Could overfilling it cause the leak??

Brian

/ 2320 Hydraulic Leak #3  
Anyone got any thoughts??? Could overfilling it cause the leak??

Brian

I can tell you that with my 2305, I always check the sight glass with 3PH, loader, all implements down. The level in the sight glass will definitely change if any rams are not extended.

Sorry, can't speculate on your theory of the leak.

Last week, I had a leak at a fitting on the left loader ram. I tightened the connection with a wrench and it has been fine since. Could you have a fitting that has vibrated loose?

/ 2320 Hydraulic Leak #4  
How much more oil did you add?
Could the oil be so clean the sight glass looks empty when it's really full or over full?
Might try draining out and refilling.
Were you ever able to tighten the nut or put a sealing washer behind it? McMaster-Carr sells Pressure sealing washers in both inch and metric sizes, different designs for nuts or screws/bolts. Post your size and I can post the catalog number.

/ 2320 Hydraulic Leak
How much more oil did you add?
Could the oil be so clean the sight glass looks empty when it's really full or over full?
Might try draining out and refilling.
Were you ever able to tighten the nut or put a sealing washer behind it? McMaster-Carr sells Pressure sealing washers in both inch and metric sizes, different designs for nuts or screws/bolts. Post your size and I can post the catalog number.

Most time the glass has a slight bubble at the top, but at other times (with everything in the same position) the glass would show empty..

I honestly dont remember how much more oil i added over what I took out.. I may just drain some out and see if that stops the leak. IIRC the level is just suppose to be about 1/2 way in the glass..

Where the bolt was located you could not get to it without dismantling the tractor.. I even tried one of those universal joint extension.. I could barely get a wrench on it but it would not budge..

thanks

Brian

/ 2320 Hydraulic Leak #6  
Over filling can cause leaks as the fluid gets hot, the fluid will expand. If there isn't enough room for expansion it can cause leaks at the weakest spot.

I thought the 2320 had a dipstick? I know on the the 2520 it is hidden? Also I am assuming you put in the red stuff from JD, so it should show. Maybe drive it easily and see if there is not an air pocket blocking the fluid from showing.

/ 2320 Hydraulic Leak
the 2320 does NOT have a dipstick, it has a fill hole on the left hand side under the seat.. the sight glass is the only way to tell the oil level.

I wish it had a dipstick.... When I did the 50 hr service I put the stated amount of fluid from the manual in the tractor and it would not show in the sight glass.. I kept adding it until it over-flowed out the fill hole.. THEN as soon as i started the tractor and turned the PTO on the sight glass filled up.. Then it was drain, start tractor, run PTO until the oil level dropped in the sight glass.

I think I will drain fluid out until it drops in the glass.. Ill try to catch it in a container that I can reuse it if needed..

Brian

Over filling can cause leaks as the fluid gets hot, the fluid will expand. If there isn't enough room for expansion it can cause leaks at the weakest spot.

I thought the 2320 had a dipstick? I know on the the 2520 it is hidden? Also I am assuming you put in the red stuff from JD, so it should show. Maybe drive it easily and see if there is not an air pocket blocking the fluid from showing.

/ 2320 Hydraulic Leak
UPDATE 6/24 - drained about 1 quart out of it, but it still appears to be leaking.. It will only show in the sight glass when the rpms are around 2k and the PTO is going.. I think I need to add a cup or so back into it..

Would a blocked (semi blocked) hydraulic filter cause a similar issue by building up pressure? Just thinking that this started shortly after I changed the hydraulic fluid..

b