Mowing 240 Sound Levels

/ 240 Sound Levels #1  

Alberta Brian

Tractor
T.B.D.
I've been offered a 1979 240 at a good price but it's about 3 hours away from me. I've never heard one run but I understand that they are considered loud. If I run it on weekday afternoons on my 5 acres are my neighbours going to complain?;)

/ 240 Sound Levels
A B Welcome!

Yes they are loud. Get earmuffs.

I sent you a PM.
Califonia: Thanks for that!

I now think I'll pass on the 240 but continue with Yanmar and look for an early 3 cylinder unit.

/ 240 Sound Levels
So, I'm not quite ready to let go of the 240 yet. There's a Kubota L200 down the road that I have heard running; I didn't think it was to loud. Are all the 2 cylinder diesels in this size range about the same loudness?

/ 240 Sound Levels #7  
I don't think I have ever considered the 2 cylinders to be any louder than the 3 cylinders- just a different kind of loud. You can hear each explosion on the 2 cylinders vs more of a roar on the 3 and 4 cylinders.

/ 240 Sound Levels #8  
So, I'm not quite ready to let go of the 240 yet. There's a Kubota L200 down the road that I have heard running; I didn't think it was to loud. Are all the 2 cylinder diesels in this size range about the same loudness?

The 2-clys are know as pop-corn machines for sound while the 3-cly machines run smoother.

As the 2-cly revs up in RPMs, the noise is more intense.

As the 3-cly revs up in RPMs, the noise in dBa is lower to reach the same RPM on the meter as the 2-cly.

At idle or lower RPMs, there is not too much of a difference, yet the pop-corn noise is clearly herd with the 2-cly.

Muffler designs do play a key factor here too. The OE mufflers tend to work best as the aftermarket for these old machines have become so generic that one size fits all is had here.

In the Mitsubishi compact circles, they have 2 muffler types to choose from in the aftermarket. And there is a noticeable price difference with each.