24hp tractor at northern tools

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools #11  
I really liked the tractor they had on display at northern. I think they had an 85 hp with an fel. The price was right, I would just be concerned about how I would get warranty work done.

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools #12  
Koyker Manufacturing - Loaders

I think the lift capacity at both ends of that tractor is marginal for a 900lb bale which puts the center of gravity out at 40" plus in the case of a clamp-on spear. The 35hp at Northern with 160 loader looks like a much better fit.

I also second the recommendation to compare to LS.

A skid-steer type bucket that lets you swap out to a dedicated bale spear would be a worthwhile option. I put a hydraulic toplink on the 3-point spear I made for my Belarus and that's another worthwhile investment. (So look for the rear remote option, standard on the Nortrac's by the way.)

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools #13  
I really liked the tractor they had on display at northern. I think they had an 85 hp with an fel. The price was right, I would just be concerned about how I would get warranty work done.

I am ordering their 35 hp tractor tomorrow. When I talked to Northern on the phone they gave me the name of a local tractor dealer eight miles from my house for warranty work. I called the service manager and he said they had only had two in there in the three years he has been there but that he had no problem providing the warranty service for Northern's tractors.

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools #14  
I am ordering their 35 hp tractor tomorrow. When I talked to Northern on the phone they gave me the name of a local tractor dealer eight miles from my house for warranty work. I called the service manager and he said they had only had two in there in the three years he has been there but that he had no problem providing the warranty service for Northern's tractors.

Good luck to you Bart, and keep us posted.
I believe the one we saw had a Perkins diesel.

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools #15  
Thanks Cowboy. We shall see. Glad to have found this forum.

BB - Native West Texan that got stranded in Virginia.

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools #16  
Sound-guy
I have owned a JM354 for about 12 years and I really like the tractor for stand alone tractor work, NO FEL. I did my home work just like you and found the same deficiencies in the 200 series and some 300's Jinma tractors. I'm wondering if (not knowing what kind ground or terrain you'd be working) a skid steer would work for handling the hay. I feel skid steers have more of robust loader and hydraulics. I'm just not a fan of FEL's on compact tractors, too many people want to go and "dig dirt" or overload the machine and it seems some main gear case/housing breaks or gears go away. Turning with power on with bucket being loaded seems to be the common problem. This seems to be true with any of the "major brands" as well. What ever you decide I'm sure it will be a well investigated purchase. bjr

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools
Yup, no need to dig, got a hoe for that, really just need the spear. Flat firm land too, good cinditions

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools #18  
Considered a used skid steer if mainly just needing a loader?

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools
Used market here is very thin tight now.

/ 24hp tractor at northern tools #20  
I actually treat mine like a bulldozer most of the time, it has 600 hours or so and I would say 250 or so is mowing and tilling, the rest is bulldozing work. I started a thread about capabilities of the tractor in here a while back too. They are capable of most things but have a few built in flaws that have to be watched out for.

4x4 and FEL work is NOT something that gets along well as the front axle can be twisted off (been there done that 2 times) All in all they are great for price (mine is 2002) and the Fotons pricing has gone up but so has everything...

mark