25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller?

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #1  

BryceSteiner

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK25 T25
I went to my local Ace rental place and they didn’t have a 5’ foot PTO tiller available to rent. they said they had 2 - 6 foot tillers. It turned out that I got the Woods 72.40 and it’s heavy! I wasn't sure I should even get it with comments I had read online about larger pieces of equipment on a smaller tractor PTO.

I was hesitant about getting that large of a tiller for the back of my RK 25 HP tractor. I hooked it up and it seemed just fine. Is there a reason to not run a 6 foot attachment on tractor like this if it doesn't seem to have any problems?

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #2  
Is there a reason to not run a 6 foot attachment on tractor like this if it doesn't seem to have any problems?

No. Go ahead.

Forward rotating roto-tillers do not require huge amounts of PTO power. The forward rotating tines push the tractor forward.

Last edited:
   / 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #3  
No. Go ahead.

Forward rotating roto-tillers do not require huge amounts of PTO power. The forward rotating tines push the tractor forward.
IF You believe that, bring your 25 pto hp tractor over and hook it to my 6 foot "forward rotating" Howard tiller!!

Be prepared to leave with your tail between your legs and a red face!

To the OP: it Completely depends on what tiller, what tractor and what ground!!

SR

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #4  
That wouldn't fly on my previously untilled clay. My previous 24pto HP tractor would barely handle a 5' tiller when I was busting up virgin ground for my small garden.
Previously tilled or different soil type is another matter.
In any case, I would adjust the slip clutch on the tiller prior to use.

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #5  
I use a 5 footer on my 25ish HP ford 1700. Saying that it is the quality of soil, amount of rock and derbies that need to be looked at. I have relatively good soil in my garden plot. First time around, I used a middle buster to bust the ground and then tilled with no issue. With my good ground, I can also till the virgin soil, but have to do it slow and with multiple passes. Alternately you can disk and then till to a fine powdery soil. I would till when the ground is slightly moist and not bone dry. Make sure to check the slip clutch , rather it slips VS busting the PTO drive innards $$$.

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #6  
I went to my local Ace rental place and they didn’t have a 5’ foot PTO tiller available to rent. they said they had 2 - 6 foot tillers. It turned out that I got the Woods 72.40 and it’s heavy! I wasn't sure I should even get it with comments I had read online about larger pieces of equipment on a smaller tractor PTO.

I was hesitant about getting that large of a tiller for the back of my RK 25 HP tractor. I hooked it up and it seemed just fine. Is there a reason to not run a 6 foot attachment on tractor like this if it doesn't seem to have any problems?

The power required is dependent a lot on the soil. I had run a forward rotating 6' tiller on a 23 PTO HP tractor once in the past. The soil was rocky clay that had been ripped through with a field cultivator before tilling and it was everything that little tractor wanted in trying to run that 6' tiller in its absolute lowest creeper gear. I'd guess that it would have been happy if it had about 30 PTO HP, certainly it can't use more than 40 as that's what the slip clutch is set at. However, everybody's soil is different and if your soil was lighter and your tractor didn't struggle, I don't see an issue in continuing to use that 6' tiller.

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #7  
I've a 48 inch behind my hydraulic 25 hp. Virgin rocky ground wasn't hard for it except when it hit a 8 inch or so rock. I wouldn't have wanted to use a 72 inch...

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #8  
A 5' man can play Center, but not as effectively as a 7' man. As mentioned above, the conditions matter. If the other players are all 4', the 5' man is a giant.

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #9  
6’ on my 48Hp Branson… and it really grunts in virgin clay loam. That’s traveling about 1 mph. Depends on the ground for sure. My field would stop a 25hp tractor cold.

Really glad I went hydro and not gear

/ 25 HP Tractor operate 6' Tiller? #10  
A 5' man can play Center, but not as effectively as a 7' man. As mentioned above, the conditions matter. If the other players are all 4', the 5' man is a giant.

Huh!