2520 Questions

/ 2520 Questions #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Ok, I'm going to jump on the 2520 bandwagon and approach my tractor questions more specifically. I'm looking for a tractor to maintain 14 acres and a fairly large garden. I see most of you are using he 2520 for driveways, snow blowing, light loader work etc. I'm interested to know if you can work row crops and if it can be fitted with a backhoe. Can you move 20 foot pines with the loader? I have access to large tractors 100 hp and up from neighbors that can take care of my somewhat limited need for a large tractor but don't want to go to small either as they farm for a living and I'll be on the back burner unitl fall.

In a nuthsell,,,what are the strneght and weaknesses of this tractor?

Thanks in advance

/ 2520 Questions #2  
I have done all of that with the Kioti CK27 which weighs the same as a 3320 but is physically between the 2520 and the 3320. It's loader has the same specs as the 200cx, the rear width is wider ( 60" outside to outside).

I did row crops that way. I used a chisel plow narrowed to fit between the rear wheels, then used a 4ft King Cutter with the outside tines removed so it tilled just the space between the rear wheels. It works great actually.

Garden and yard loader work, no problem. Snow removal, check.

Moving 20ft logs is another story. The loader will do it. The tractor will lift it. BUT I think the 2x20 series is too narrow to do it comfortably. I moved a lot of 6x6 posts on pallet forks. On level ground you are fine but just a bump upsets everything. If you carry low to the ground it works and you won't tip, but you can't just tool around with 20 footers on the pallet forks and not pay attention. I guess it depends on how many you are moving at a time too.

No problem running a backhoe. It's a very good tractor for that, and the price is right.

/ 2520 Questions
Great advice.
Thanks

/ 2520 Questions #4  
I've only had mine for a week, so far so good. I second that the stance isn't real wide so lifting something the long is not going to be safe in most conditions.

The other issue with that heavy of a load, counterweight is definitely going to be needed. I have had the FEL on (they forgot to fill my rear tires) and going down hill just about put it on its nose. Fortunately I was able to drop the bucket and use it as a front skid, not a lot of fun, but I survived.

/ 2520 Questions #5  
Of your 14 total acres, how many acres is your row crop area and what attachments are you planning to use to work that land. What attachments are you planning to use in general.

If you list out your preferred attachments/sizes, you will have an indication of the minimum sized tractor specs required to operate each attachment. This will give you a clearer indication if a 2520 is a good fit or not.

/ 2520 Questions #6  
I've only had mine for a week, so far so good. I second that the stance isn't real wide so lifting something the long is not going to be safe in most conditions.

The other issue with that heavy of a load, counterweight is definitely going to be needed. I have had the FEL on (they forgot to fill my rear tires) and going down hill just about put it on its nose. Fortunately I was able to drop the bucket and use it as a front skid, not a lot of fun, but I survived.

I see you have a backhoe, you should not be operating the FEL unless you have the backhoe in place. Filling the tires will not help, you need counterweight past the rear axles and at a minimum 500 lbs. The backhoe is ideal as it weighs about 900 and is significantly cantilevered past the rear axles. If you do not want to run the backhoe all the time then you should purchase a ballast box or at least make sure your life insurance is current. Personally I have lifted my rear tires even with the backhoe while trying to break out a root.

/ 2520 Questions
The row crop area is about 5 acres but I'd only tend about an acre or so of garden. I may want to fence in the other open land in for cows. I do have access to a 140 Farmall if this tractor is a good fit for everything but the garden work. Additionally, there's 8 or 9acres of heavy cut-over that 'd like to clean up for a home site. It's somewhat hilly and rocky. I'll have a pretty good length driveway to maintain. Somewhere around 800 feet at a minimum. The land isn't very wide but is deep. Other projects:

Bushhogging
Rock removal
gold fish ponds
small walls
small to medium size stump removal (10-20 foot pines)
General landscaping such as soil preparation of the cutover for total re-seed
Annual aereating etc.

Am I looking at the wrong tractor? I could always pay someone to help with the heavier work (20 foot pine removal) and then use this tractor for the other long term maintenance. Thanks for the help.

/ 2520 Questions #8  
I think it will be fine for what you want and affordable too. You could bump up to the 3320 and be happy too, but it's a little big and heavy for mower duties at home. Can you cut the pines in half? 10 footers are easer to work with and could be put on a trailer too.

One thing you have to watch out for here is that everyone is so enthusiastic that they will bump you up to more tractor than you really need. For example, how many of us ever come even close to using the full lift capacity of a cat 1 3pt hitch? Loaders are another story. Living on a farm I have maxed out all of my loaders except the New Holland which can pick up 4,000# if the tractor is ballasted properly. I never even come close to that but I have been over 2,000# fairly routinely.

Seriously, the 2520 will do everything you need. It's kind of like this:
JohnDeere Media Player

/ 2520 Questions #9  
This will be long, but you should get it all if you're getting ready buy a machine. I have a 2520 that I bought just a couple of months ago. We have put just under 100 hours on it. Our property is just under 100 acres. We also garden, but don't use the tractor for that work other than to move materials (mulch and manure) to the gardens. We do not use the 2520 for tilling of any sort.

Our machine has the FEL (48" bucket) and backhoe (Model 46) as well as a set of pallet forks by Artillian.

My son is building a house on part of this property and the machine has been a godsend to assist with that work. In the last two weeks he has placed over 100 tons of crushed stone, put in a 200' roadway to the site (which will become his driveway), and used it to both dig out a portion of the original excavation that the big machines missed and to clean up cave-ins of the pit wall in the heavy rains we've been having.

Our primary use of our machine is to handle firewood. We use the pallet forks for that work and they are the best investment in a tool that I have made for that sort of work. Those 20-foot pine logs will be child's play if you get a 2520, though if you have to move them around obstructions it could be tricky. We cut most of ours at 9 to 12 feet for just that reason; its not the weight, its the width of the load and our narrow logging roads that are the problem. When we cut firewood we set aside some logs if we have an intention of having it sawed in the future. My son has pulled out two cherry logs that he wants to have sawed. Both are well over 20 feet long, the longer of the two is 27 feet and 18" at the big end and the shorter log (this one is easy to remember, its 22 feet long and 22 inches in diameter). While the tractor's hydraulics lift the load I made it a point to only carry those logs over flat and relatively smooth ground - it was more weight than I wanted on the front axles.

Yesterday I took 5 logs out of the woods with our machine, four Elm and one Maple. Each of them was cut to 9' lengths. The Maple maxed out the machine's hydraulics at the forks (1,184 lbs.) and so I had to cut a foot and a half off it to pick it up and move it. I then had to haul it through some serious mud and up one very steep hill that required that I have the tractor in 4-wheel-drive as well as lock the rear axle to make it up.

The tractor is handling all of these tasks with ease. It has turned out to be a much better machine than I expected it to be. It has outstanding traction (backhoe on, rear tires (R4) liquid filled) and very useful hydraulics.

As for the backhoe, it is limited in both strength and depth but still a very useful tool. We have used to to dig drainage ditches and I dug some of the footer for the house in a part where we had to put in an unexpected retaining wall. I will also be using it to put in his septic system, though I may have to find a machine with greater depth capability to bury the tank. So basically the machine is handy and well suited to small jobs, but it does have limitations.

Ergonomically, the tractor is quite comfortable. All controls are easily at hand and intuitive to use. Filters, grease fittings, and fill ports are easily accessible and filters are easily found. The tractor gets very good fuel economy. Moving the stone gave us good evidence of that. While moving the stone we ran the tractor non stop full days, driving it up and down hill about 200 feet between the pile and the pit. We ran the machine at 1800~-2000 RPM and were using about 5~6 gallons of fuel per day. Just slightly less than a gallon per hour.

That's about all that comes to mind at the moment, got any specific questions about it?

Last edited:
   / 2520 Questions #10  
ThomWV
Welcome to TBN:)
Very good writeup,and it's really nice to see owners give the 2520 a well deserved pat on the back!:thumbsup:

Greg