2538 Engine "sputter"

/ 2538 Engine "sputter" #1  

duffer

Platinum Member
Tractor
'16 Mahindra 2538
Hey guys...I did a search on the topic but didn't get anything similar to my problem.

It seems as though my 2538 HST engine sputters, runs rough, or just isn't right. At times it purrs like a kitten. Other times it sputters. No loss of power, operates great all the time. But the sound changes. I'm wondering if I have a bad exhaust manifold gasket, or cracked manifold that "expands" at a certain temp, and closes the alleged gap/crack. I usually run the engine at 1800-1900 RPM once it's warmed up.

Dealer is 30 miles away, and doesn't make house calls. Thought I'd bounce this off of you experts before hauling it up to him. I had him check once to see if I was running on 3 cylinders, and he said "all is good". Said it ran the way it should, but I grew up on a farm, and I never had a tractor do this. Maybe the new engines just sound this way, but I'm doubtful.

Any ideas you guys have would be most appreciated !

:confused3:

/ 2538 Engine "sputter" #2  
I’m not near my machine- does that have an egr?

/ 2538 Engine "sputter"
Not sure, but I'll look tomorrow.

/ 2538 Engine "sputter" #4  
I mention that based on the on again/off again and you thinking it’s a manifold. I’ve had and seen lots of vacuum/manifold leaks but they haven’t been intermittent. I could see an EGR getting sticky and giving similar symptoms. Again, I’m sure it has an egr though...

/ 2538 Engine "sputter" #5  
It does have an EGR. EGR problem should activate the MIL. No mention of hours on the machine. Are your filters clean ? Do you pre-filter & treat the fuel before dumping it in the tractor ?

/ 2538 Engine "sputter"
I don't "treat" my fuel, but it is filtered, a couple of times. Filters are changed regularly, and I keep the air filters as clean as possible, almost every day.

500 hours on the 2538. Getting ready to do the fluids and filters.

Tractor has had this sound since I bought it new off the lot. It could very well be a normal thing, as I don't have any power issues at all. No check engine lights, nothing. I may just be paranoid. But I plan on cleaning the EGR valve when I do the 500 hour service, just to be on the safe side.

/ 2538 Engine "sputter" #7  
If you remove the EGR to clean it, post a pic so I know how much crud to expect on mine.

/ 2538 Engine "sputter" #8  
I had a similar issue and they needed to flash the ECU with the latest program. Solved my problem.

/ 2538 Engine "sputter"
Talked to my dealer today (now Ex-dealer) and explained my concern. He told me to drain the fuel filter, and he suspected some water in the fuel. Told me to do this before pulling the EGR valve, especially on the 2500 series. He's had no EGR problems with the 2500 series, but a fair amount of EGR issues on the 4400 & 5500 series.

He suggested I call the other regional dealer, and ask them if there is a new ECU update I need. He wasn't sure. I'm doing that tomorrow.

I have to do the 500 hour service this week, so I'm planning on changing the fuel filter anyway.

I'll post what I find when I drain it, and if I find anything else when the 500 hour service is performed.