2544/3100

/ 2544/3100 #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( .. I chuckle when I hear this - How do you define resale value?
If the comparable item from another mfg is at least $2500 more, I guess its resale should be higher...)</font>

I wouldn't call it my 'definition', but for example: You purchase a JD product comparable to a CC 3K series. Lets say you pay ~$7K for it brand-new. Use it for ~5yrs and you can still sell it for $4-5K. You can recoup most of your money. I've been there before. Can you get recoup ~70% of your money from a 5yr old CC 3K series? Nope. I'm with you though, I'd rather keep the cash in pocket which is why I dont have a green/yellow & love my CC!

Joel )</font>

Thats assuming yours or my figures are correct. what was last years model equivilant series Gx335 which sold for around $7800-$8200. Cub was selling at or under $5200 (3100 with deck)...already $2600 to $3000 higher than cub. 5 year old 3000 series cubs sell at least 50%, looking at ebay you see 12 year old cub selling at 50% retail. I personally wouldnt pay 70% retail value on a 5 year old machine -regardless of brand. I dont see them locally (Deere) going that high. Its not to say it dosent happen, all that means is someone paid too much....Going back to the math equation lets say 60% deere and 50% Cub in 5 years. So you loose $2600 (50% of $5200 value minus difference) for Cub and $3280 (60% of 8200 value minus difference) for deere. Dont forget it costs an additional $3000 (price difference when new between Cub and Deere), in order to lose that $3280...
To me resale value is best seen when you have two simliar priced and valued items. Given a set period of time, and one is commanding more money over the other but both are in similair conditions. Thats resale value to me...another example is selling the item at the same price you paid for it, only a set number of years later...

Dont get me wrong - I like Deere and have a nice green machine myself. I can get what I paid for it today (and that was 3 years ago). But I never paid the inflated retail price, so im not losing anything on depreciation...

Just my take on things

Duc

/ 2544/3100 #12  
Resale value is relative. If it works and does not give me problems. I will use it until the wheels fall off. I am seldom concerned with "resale value".

/ 2544/3100 #13  
Just a question for you much more knowledgeable guys. I'm looking to buy a 2500 series this week. I'm leaning toward the 2554 for the wider deck, to cut my approx 3 acres, on a hillside (?10% grade?). Is there some reason that I should NOT get the wider deck? Do the smaller decks have less problems? Please advise. thanks.

/ 2544/3100 #14  
saspaul, that 54" would be ideal for 3acres. The wider deck makes close trimming around trees, etc, much easier as the wider decks stick out from the sides of the tractor more. The 54" also has a WIDE discharge opening. Less prone to clogging. I can't say enough positives in regards to my 44", but I only have ~1.5acres to mow & few trees.

Joel

/ 2544/3100 #15  
saspaul...
I bought a cc 2554 in Dec 05. Previous tractor had a 50in deck. Have 2 acres, wide open with gradual inclines. Personal preference here but I went with the 54 in due to the 23hp engine. I also plow, scrape, pull an aerator, and other attachments. The 54in is a big deck but I've noticed no engine strain of any kind turning that size deck. One thing I hadn't planned on was a utility trailer to accomodate the 54in deck. I had to sell my 5ft wide and go buy a 6ft wide. The 54in barely fit, even with the flexible guard pulled up. The tolerance on either side was literally razor thin. 6ft allows plenty of room. If you're gonna haul your tractor, keep the deck size/trailer size in mind.

/ 2544/3100 #16  
Thanks, guys. I've learned a lot from you over the past 2 weeks! Thanks again.

/ 2544/3100 #17  
I just moved up to a 2544 from a 782 that I bought used 15 years ago (it's still running). Like you I was hesitant about the reverse pedal on the 2544. I have used the 2544 for six hours now. The revrese pedal was easy to get used to and works great. I love being able to shift speed and direction without taking my hands from the wheel. After only six hours the foot motion is nearly instinctive. I think you will love the 2544, but if you've got the cash, why not go for the 3000 series with power steering and a power deck lift.