Oil & Fuel 2554 oil drain leaking

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #11  
I would replace the plug with a hose at the next oil change. Get one long enough to make oil changes less messy. Put your choice of stopper in the end. Have the hose made at NAPA for cheap...

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #12  
That's the way Simplicity did it on some of their machines (maybe still do). Makes for a nice mess free oil change. You could probably tuck the hose nicely along the frame rail when not needed.

Joel

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #13  
I finally got REAL sick of that stupid plastic valve and having to try and bend that vinyl tubing CC supplied onto the end of it. This spring I installed a Fumoto drain valve at the end of a nipple/elbow/nipple setup so I can attach a tube to the end of the valve and route the oil into a container, no muss, no fuss. I forget who showed the idea here - I can't take credit - but it's the way it should have been done to begin with. CC would never have sprung for a Fumoto valve, but Jeezuz, at least the elbow and pipe and just cap the end. Whazzat, maybe $1.50 in Chinese pipe and fittings from Home Despot?

Loosening up the engine (I just removed all 4 bolts after scribing location lines around the "feet") to get the elbow installed was simple enough with my Bosch 18V 1/2" impact driver and once back together, shows no ill effects from the process.

Chris

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #14  
A Fumoto is definitely the deluxe package Chris. My John Deere drain valve has a tiny T-stem that has to be threaded out like a hose bib. It's a pain, but still easier, less messy and leak free than the ridiculous OEM setup I had.

Picture689.jpg

Picture688.jpg

Joel

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #15  
A Fumoto is definitely the deluxe package Chris. My John Deere drain valve has a tiny T-stem that has to be threaded out like a hose bib. It's a pain, but still easier, less messy and leak free than the ridiculous OEM setup I had.

Joel

Well, whaddya know - that looks just like mine!!! :))

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #16  
Yeah, I did it after the 2nd oil change a few years back. I had the JD drain vlv on hand still new in the bag we bought many years ago (for a JD 110) and never used. The quarter turn Fumoto will be much easier than my threaded stem valve for sure.

Joel

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #17  
I've got a 2005 CC 2554 along with all the oil drain issues posted here. I would very much like to install the oil drain set up you guys are describing, especially since my tractor is at 300 hrs and time for the dreaded and very much despised oil change. My practice has been to let the oil run out on the frame, drip down into a large catch basin and then clean up. I'm trying to work up enough courage to do what some of you more experienced mechanics have done...loosen up the four bolts holding the engine, raise the engine, install the new drain set up and be done with it. Sounds easy enough. I consider myself an average wrencher but a job of this nature would take me out of my comfort zone as I would be concerned about messing something up and then having to engage a dealer to fix what I messed up. I may just bite the bullet and make the attempt. Any thoughts, suggestions, encouragement or otherwise...would be very much appreciated.

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #18  
I offered this at another forum. Use a die grinder with a small cutoff wheel and cut the nipple just behind the elbow. Remove the remainder and then put a hose on it. No need to lift the engine.

About a ten minute job. I have all the equipment to do the job but mine isn't leaking enough to do it yet. I'm lazy...:)

/ 2554 oil drain leaking
They replaced it with a new twist and turn drain. Looks just the same. We'll see if this one starts leaking also. If It does I'm goin' to the plumbing store :)

/ 2554 oil drain leaking #20  
I replace the twist pull oil drain oil drain on my Cub Cadet 2554GT.
It had 3/8"-18 NPTF straight pipe threads, so I bought a 1 FT long hose for lubricated air from McMaster Carr
#5268K625 ($16.34) 3/8-18 NPTF - 1FT Long hose for lubricated air

Then capped the hose on one end with a Pipe Cap
#48805K24 ($11.91) [Cheaper caps are available for under a $1, I'm fancy!]

Works great, original Quick Drain was crap. Grit in the oil keeps it open. Plastic gets brittle with heat.