2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review

/ 2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review #1  

mikeman1

Silver Member
Tractor
mahindra 2555 hst
Just got it the other day, tried everything out today. TLB. 6ft rotary, 6ft BB, 7ft rear blade, 6 inch PHD, pallet forks, loaded rear tires, block heater. Everything works. I like the dealership I got it from. Went there many times with questions, test rides, etc. Worth the trip for me even though there was a closer dealership which did not give me the comfy cozy feel.

Anyway, did not get to use it much just spent the day trying everything on it.

What a really nice operating machine! Plenty of power for me. Doesn't bog down with rotary going uphill.

Temp gauge is just shy of half way, thought I would mention since some Mahindra owners say their machine runs cold..maybe they fixed the problem now.

hoe with 18inch bucket dug easily in dried up gravel driveway, pretty hard surface...just screwing around to try it out.
did notice back arm and outriggers were not able to lift rear of tractor off ground, or if it did it was just barely enough for me to try the 4wd and locking rear diff with all 4 tires off the ground. Doesnt really matter to me since it dug real good in driveway and eventually was able to get rear tires off the ground enough to spin them.

ISSUES/THINGS LEFT TO DO/THINGS NOTICED:
1) Noticed filler valve for front axle was not tight
2) Noticed filler valve on rear axle not tight
3) :confused:CLICKING pto like other member clevalley describes exactly...not sure what to do about this..PTO works but when engaged the pto on tractor clicks really loud like a pawl is engaged. When at full throttle noticed it doesn't click, or at least I can't hear it. low throttle and it is really loud. With engine off pto shaft will not turn CCW. Turns CW but about every quarter turn you can feel some kind of a pawl engage/being hit. MAYBE all of this is normal..don't know. Anyone have any thoughts PLEASE chime in.
4) While the machine is still clean hopefully tomorrow will put dielectric grease in every electrical connector to prevent corrosion/water. Don't know why they dont use waterproof connectors. Dielectric grease seems like a good thing to do for the long haul.
5) While machine is clean will use paint pen to mark every nut/bolt that I think may loosen over time so I can visually see when it is loose instead of having to wrench it every so many hours. (i.e. Hoe, loader, lugs on rims, etc.)
6) get some free pallets somewhere (HD?/Lowes?) to put implements on so they don't sink in ground and are easy to move.
7) find a couple of trees with crotches, use PHD, put them in ground, use another strong limb across the crotch to hold up PHD when not in use.
8) use my old Pickup bed liner to create some kind of a soft skid plate for a little protection of filters, wires, hoses underneath.
9) in fall make a cab for it using lexan/polycarbonate and put on a couple of rear lights for plowing snow.
10) USE THE HECK OUT OF IT!

:dance1::D

centerfold shoot to follow.

Last edited:
   / 2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review #2  
I replied in my thread and sent a PM with my contact information.

The temperature guage stays at half-way, this is normal... did so in 20 degree weather and 90+

There is a pre-screen in front of the radiator. If you do a lot of mowing with dust flying around make sure you pull the prescreen and clean the radiator out good or it will go into over-temp REAL quick. There is a product called Radiator Genie which allows you to clean with water and compressed air - works very well.

I like the idea of making a skid plate - i am going to have to find an old liner or something to fab one up.

The tractor is phenominal, man I miss it... I really miss the HST because I have a lot of hills and off-camber areas where I can throttle my speed and keep the rpms up.

I debated between a backhoe and cab - wound up getting the cab because I swore my next tractor was going to have a cab. I can always get the backhoe later...

/ 2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review #3  
Just got it the other day, tried everything out today. TLB. 6ft rotary, 6ft BB, 7ft rear blade, 6 inch PHD, pallet forks, loaded rear tires, block heater. Everything works. I like the dealership I got it from. Went there many times with questions, test rides, etc. Worth the trip for me even though there was a closer dealership which did not give me the comfy cozy feel.

Anyway, did not get to use it much just spent the day trying everything on it.

What a really nice operating machine! Plenty of power for me. Doesn't bog down with rotary going uphill.

Temp gauge is just shy of half way, thought I would mention since some Mahindra owners say their machine runs cold..maybe they fixed the problem now.

hoe with 18inch bucket dug easily in dried up gravel driveway, pretty hard surface...just screwing around to try it out.
did notice back arm and outriggers were not able to lift rear of tractor off ground, or if it did it was just barely enough for me to try the 4wd and locking rear diff with all 4 tires off the ground. Doesnt really matter to me since it dug real good in driveway and eventually was able to get rear tires off the ground enough to spin them.

ISSUES/THINGS LEFT TO DO/THINGS NOTICED:
1) Noticed filler valve for front axle was not tight
2) Noticed filler valve on rear axle not tight
3) :confused:CLICKING pto like other member clevalley describes exactly...not sure what to do about this..PTO works but when engaged the pto on tractor clicks really loud like a pawl is engaged. When at full throttle noticed it doesn't click, or at least I can't hear it. low throttle and it is really loud. With engine off pto shaft will not turn CCW. Turns CW but about every quarter turn you can feel some kind of a pawl engage/being hit. MAYBE all of this is normal..don't know. Anyone have any thoughts PLEASE chime in.
4) While the machine is still clean hopefully tomorrow will put dielectric grease in every electrical connector to prevent corrosion/water. Don't know why they dont use waterproof connectors. Dielectric grease seems like a good thing to do for the long haul.
5) While machine is clean will use paint pen to mark every nut/bolt that I think may loosen over time so I can visually see when it is loose instead of having to wrench it every so many hours. (i.e. Hoe, loader, lugs on rims, etc.)
6) get some free pallets somewhere (HD?/Lowes?) to put implements on so they don't sink in ground and are easy to move.
7) find a couple of trees with crotches, use PHD, put them in ground, use another strong limb across the crotch to hold up PHD when not in use.
8) use my old Pickup bed liner to create some kind of a soft skid plate for a little protection of filters, wires, hoses underneath.
9) in fall make a cab for it using lexan/polycarbonate and put on a couple of rear lights for plowing snow.
10) USE THE HECK OUT OF IT!

:dance1::D

centerfold shoot to follow.

Good call putting the quality of the dealer ahead of distance. I'm sure your decision will be rewarded later on.

/ 2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review
Thanks. Item #3 about pto clicking: used it for 2 1/2 hours with rotary non stop and no weakness in bucket/loader/3pt. so i am going to say its a non issue for me. heard back from dealer and they said it is the override clutch that is built in and it is fine.

what a nice machine, so nice not to get stuck with 4wd.

/ 2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review #5  
Thanks. Item #3 about pto clicking: used it for 2 1/2 hours with rotary non stop and no weakness in bucket/loader/3pt. so i am going to say its a non issue for me. heard back from dealer and they said it is the override clutch that is built in and it is fine.

what a nice machine, so nice not to get stuck with 4wd.

That is great to hear! I really had an overheating issue of the hydraulics because they got REAL sticky. The mechanic found some bad bearings in the transmission, real 'gritty' feeling when he hand spun them. Got word over the weekend that it may be ready this week for them to bring out to me and pick up the unreleased Mahindra 6065 demo unit. I think I have 17 hours on it already...

glad to hear your getting it back. I added a 50 cal ammo box right behind the hst pedals and in front of the glass/plastic sheet. no place to store basic hand tools. under the floor mat there is a welded nut that is not being used so bought a bolt and bolted down the ammo box. bought a small stubby hammer at HF and few extra pins and with pair of cheap pliers in the box. next thing i am going to add is fire extinguisher somewhere, had a tractor catch fire when hydraulic hose popped and leaked onto exhaust. and then thinking about creating something similar to a planters box/window planters box and hang it off behind the seat. want to make it big enough for chain saw, oil and gas. and then when i have the BH on I can just take off the planters box.

I will take pics this weekend so all of you can see what I am talking about.

/ 2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review #7  
Would love to see it. I think I can do the ammo box but I have a cabbed model and can't hang anything off the back seat. Right now I have an adjustable wrench I toss on the floorboard and that is my nut adjuster/hammer LOL

/ 2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review #8  
glad to hear your getting it back. I added a 50 cal ammo box right behind the hst pedals and in front of the glass/plastic sheet. no place to store basic hand tools. under the floor mat there is a welded nut that is not being used so bought a bolt and bolted down the ammo box. bought a small stubby hammer at HF and few extra pins and with pair of cheap pliers in the box. next thing i am going to add is fire extinguisher somewhere, had a tractor catch fire when hydraulic hose popped and leaked onto exhaust. and then thinking about creating something similar to a planters box/window planters box and hang it off behind the seat. want to make it big enough for chain saw, oil and gas. and then when i have the BH on I can just take off the planters box.

I will take pics this weekend so all of you can see what I am talking about.

You could likely find and place on the ROPS to clamp an extinguisher. Maybe add another on the other side.

I was thinking of that but the problem is with this rops it folds down at the base, bad design, most other rops fold half way up. i used some old pvc pipe and mounted it next to seat behind the 4wd lever and another one above the 3 pt in the rear of the tractor. will add photos after it stops raining. did manage to get photo of ammo box mount.
ammo box mount.JPG

oh, and one other thing, check hydraulic houses for rubbing on the frame by the loader valve. i used old inner tube with wire ties to give it a little cushion.

/ 2555 HST Open Station -new owner- review #10  
I was thinking of that but the problem is with this rops it folds down at the base, bad design, most other rops fold half way up. i used some old pvc pipe and mounted it next to seat behind the 4wd lever and another one above the 3 pt in the rear of the tractor. will add photos after it stops raining. did manage to get photo of ammo box mount.
View attachment 511609

oh, and one other thing, check hydraulic houses for rubbing on the frame by the loader valve. i used old inner tube with wire ties to give it a little cushion.

Oh well if push comes to shove I think you can mount them horizontally although it's probably not optimal unless it's a CO2 type. I don't think it matters how you store a CO2 extinguisher.