2706E Wide Stance?

/ 2706E Wide Stance? #1  

TheFarmerInAdell

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2706E, Massey Ferguson GC1705
I'm in the process of buying a new 2706E and I asked about making the rear wheels wider. I can't seem to find any info about how wide they go. It would cost $300 to go wider, but I don't know if it is worth it or not. I don't have really steep hills, most around 10 degrees grade. Should I pony up the extra for this or leave it? I'm having the tires filled so I'm thinking I don't need it. Opinions?

Edit: Corrected from 10% grade to 10 degrees grade.

Last edited:
   / 2706E Wide Stance? #2  
If you have a front loader I would go with weight. Especially if you have any grades.

There have been times that I have failed to remember to be in 4WD coming down a slight hillside with a load in the bucket and lost traction on the rears even with filled tires. Cannot imagine how it would have behaved with empty tires. It is hard to get it in 4WD when you are already sliding in gravel.

Remember if this happens to DROP THE BUCKET to the ground and do not travel with the front bucket edge down on grades. You want to get control by removing the weight of the bucket, not have the bucket dig in and break something.

/ 2706E Wide Stance?
I am more concerned about side-hilling. I am getting a loader and I am filling the tires. Just not sure if the wide stance is necessary or if it will be more trouble than it's worth.

/ 2706E Wide Stance? #4  
I am more concerned about side-hilling. I am getting a loader and I am filling the tires. Just not sure if the wide stance is necessary or if it will be more trouble than it's worth.
It's worth it to prevent any sort of rollover should the worst of scenarios prevail. If you'll be working on that grade consistently then you'll want to make sure you've afforded yourself every safety measure. 1 wrong step down the road is more expensive than 300 up front

/ 2706E Wide Stance?
My other concern is will I be too wide for my 7 foot implements if I go wide?

/ 2706E Wide Stance? #7  
If I had a time machine I would get the 16.9-24 rear tires on my 2705E, 13.6-28 hold almost 200 lbs less rimguard per tire.

/ 2706E Wide Stance?
I got the R4 tires so they're 17.5L-24. Not sure how much rimguard they hold, but I know it's quite a bit. I ended up going standard width because after looking at it the standard width is still quite stout and I don't have extremely steep inclines to go on. I also don't want to have to go with 8 foot implements, as 7 foot are expensive enough as it is.

/ 2706E Wide Stance? #9  
I'm in the process of buying a new 2706E and I asked about making the rear wheels wider. I can't seem to find any info about how wide they go. It would cost $300 to go wider, but I don't know if it is worth it or not. I don't have really steep hills, most around 10 degrees grade. Should I pony up the extra for this or leave it? I'm having the tires filled so I'm thinking I don't need it. Opinions?

Edit: Corrected from 10% grade to 10 degrees grade.

Buying new, your owner's manual should show you what your options are for mounting the tires/wheels to get more or less rear width. I bought a 2660HD in 2011 and the owner's booklet gave a pretty good rundown on that. Your dealer should be happy to show you what your mounting options are and deliver the machine exactly the way you want it. I see from your later post that you are getting 17.5 x 24 tires. Nice, wide beefy ones. Your 10% grades do not make for a need to widen your rears heroically at all. Filling the rear tires is a good idea (for traction) but it won't make much difference on the tippy nature of the tractor.

I have an endless job cleaning up an old farm that is steep in places. I clip pasture/cut brush on about 56 acres of it with the other 44 ac being meadows or else too steep to put a tractor on, or woods. I always cut at least some 40% slopes every work trip. I stay off anything over about 50%.

Tire width plan that works best for me is to run the outer edges of the rear tires 8 ft. apart. (18.3 x26 R1 tires.) I set the front tires such that the inner edges of the front tires match the inner edges of the rear tires. That has worked well for me the whole time I've had it. My bush hog is 7ft and my flail mower is 7.5ft cutting width but the flail is offset probably 3ft. Trailering is sometimes a consideration for how wide you want your rear wheels too.

Puzzle: why would it cost you anything to put your rear wheels out wider ? $300 !? Surely being brand new the dealer will mount those wheels what ever width you say initially at no extra cost. I certainly don't know the width range available to you but the manual should show you.

Enjoy the new machine !

/ 2706E Wide Stance?
Puzzle: why would it cost you anything to put your rear wheels out wider ? $300 !? Surely being brand new the dealer will mount those wheels what ever width you say initially at no extra cost. I certainly don't know the width range available to you but the manual should show you.

Enjoy the new machine !

Shop time apparently. They're a small dealer with low volume so they need to recover their time somehow. I went with standard width because it seemed wide enough like that. I would think that adding fluid to the tires gives a lower center of gravity with having weight below the axle in the tires. Seeing that the tractor is only about 4,000 lbs the extra 1,000 lbs or so below the axle should help. It definitely helps with lifting. Without the weight the loader would pick up the back wheels. With the weight it still gets light in the rear.

Trailering is no concern as I have a deck-over gooseneck. My concern was how wide would I need my implements to be, specifically a rototiller.