2720 Step Project

/ 2720 Step Project #1  

jgayman

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
Like most, my knees have been asking me for a step for my 2720 since the day I took delivery. A couple months ago the dealer had a John Deere Days picnic at which they had just about every tractor that John Deere makes on display. Sitting next to a 2720 was a 3038E. My eye was immediately drawn to the step on the 3038E and I knew right away it would be perfect for the 2720.

I ordered a step the next day from Green Farm Parts. The step is part LVU18332 and it was only $12.93 after the Green Tractor Talk discount.

I finally had time to work on it today and I am very happy with the way it turned out. It looks like the step that John Deere "should" have installed at the factory. I'm sorry there aren't more photos but all I had was my iPhone.

The first photo shows the subframe after the floorboard was removed. JD didn't include much to work with. The job would have taken a lot less time had I just welded the support bracket on while the subframe was still on the tractor. But I chickened out and decided to remove the subframe for safety. Fortunately the subframe is easy to remove and only held in place by 6 bolts.

photo1.jpg

The next photo shows the 3038E step, part number LVU18332. The only modification needed was cutting a small notch in the right mounting tab to allow clearance for one of the floorboard rubber bushings.

photo2.JPG

The next photo shows the subframe after modifications. I added a 5 3/4" section of 1" angle 1/8" thick for the left mount point. The right support mounts to an existing plate that is on the subframe. So I only needed to drill a couple holes.
photo3.JPG

The next photo shows the step bolted to the subframe. I used the same 8M x 25MM bolts that are used to mount the step to the 3038E. I bought the bolts, nuts and washers at my local Tractor Supply. Total cost for all mounting hardware was $4.95.

photo4.jpg

The next two photos show the step after the floorboard is re-installed.

photo5.jpg photo6.JPG

The last photo shows a top view of the step to give you an idea how far it sticks out from the floorboard.

photo7.jpg

I am very happy with the way it turned out. Total cost of the project was $25. It seems plenty strong but only time will tell. There isn't much to work with under those floorboards. I used the tractor a few times this afternoon after installing the step and getting on and off the tractor is now as easy as getting in and out of my car. Both my knees are smiling.

I hope someone else finds this information useful.

/ 2720 Step Project #2  
Looks great, wish I had done that before the cab was installed.

Do you think there is enough clearance for a mower deck?

Do you have any plans to shorten the length of that huge range selector?

/ 2720 Step Project
Since I don't have a MMM I have no way of knowing what the clearances are. I suspect though that it may interfere. It would be easy enough to cut the side plates on the step to shorted it and then weld it back together.

I've never had any issues with the length of the transmission range selector knob. I did have to shorten and bend the lever on my 3rd SCV to keep from hitting it with my elbow.

/ 2720 Step Project #4  
Since I don't have a MMM I have no way of knowing what the clearances are. I suspect though that it may interfere. It would be easy enough to cut the side plates on the step to shorted it and then weld it back together.

I've never had any issues with the length of the transmission range selector knob. I did have to shorten and bend the lever on my 3rd SCV to keep from hitting it with my elbow.

Really? I guess it's all in how I get off the tractor. If I stand up and back off, it doesn't bother me much either. But if I lean over and go forward getting off, it is RIGHT in the way. I'll bump it every time, so I have to shut the motor off every time I exit, which can be a hassle sometimes.

/ 2720 Step Project
I guess I've just been lucky. Now... ask me about the seat switch. :mad:

/ 2720 Step Project #6  
Oh, that got by-passed months ago.

/ 2720 Step Project
You have no idea! Normally I plan my mounts and dismounts carefully but last night I was pulling some roots out of the yard and was on and off the tractor 20 times attaching chains, etc. It was completely effortless.

/ 2720 Step Project #9  
Like most, my knees have been asking me for a step for my 2720 since the day I took delivery. A couple months ago the dealer had a John Deere Days picnic at which they had just about every tractor that John Deere makes on display. Sitting next to a 2720 was a 3038E. My eye was immediately drawn to the step on the 3038E and I knew right away it would be perfect for the 2720.

I ordered a step the next day from Green Farm Parts. The step is part LVU18332 and it was only $12.93 after the Green Tractor Talk discount.

I finally had time to work on it today and I am very happy with the way it turned out. It looks like the step that John Deere "should" have installed at the factory. I'm sorry there aren't more photos but all I had was my iPhone.

The first photo shows the subframe after the floorboard was removed. JD didn't include much to work with. The job would have taken a lot less time had I just welded the support bracket on while the subframe was still on the tractor. But I chickened out and decided to remove the subframe for safety. Fortunately the subframe is easy to remove and only held in place by 6 bolts.

View attachment 314181

The next photo shows the 3038E step, part number LVU18332. The only modification needed was cutting a small notch in the right mounting tab to allow clearance for one of the floorboard rubber bushings.

View attachment 314182

The next photo shows the subframe after modifications. I added a 5 3/4" section of 1" angle 1/8" thick for the left mount point. The right support mounts to an existing plate that is on the subframe. So I only needed to drill a couple holes.
View attachment 314183

The next photo shows the step bolted to the subframe. I used the same 8M x 25MM bolts that are used to mount the step to the 3038E. I bought the bolts, nuts and washers at my local Tractor Supply. Total cost for all mounting hardware was $4.95.

View attachment 314184

The next two photos show the step after the floorboard is re-instal

View attachment 314185 View attachment 314186

The last photo shows a top view of the step to give you an idea how far it sticks out from the floorboard.

View attachment 314187

I am very happy with the way it turned out. Total cost of the project was $25. It seems plenty strong but only time will tell. There isn't much to work with under those floorboards. I used the tractor a few times this afternoon after installing the step and getting on and off the tractor is now as easy as getting in and out of my car. Both my knees are smiling.

I hope someone else finds this information useful.

Hope you don't plan to use a MMM with that step there!! Ain't gonna work from where I stand

/ 2720 Step Project
Hope you don't plan to use a MMM with that step there!! Ain't gonna work from where I stand

As mentioned earlier, compatibility with a MMM was not part of the design criteria. I don't have a MMM and have no plans to add one as I have a dedicated JD riding mower. I'm sure you could easily cut the side supports and shorten it somewhat if using with a MMM.

I assume most folks with a MMM actually use the deck as a side step. Given that this step mounts with three bolts it only takes 5-mins to remove it. I think even if I had a MMM I would attach this step during the winter months for when I'm plowing and using the snow blower.

I've been on and off the tractor 50-times since installing the step. It has totally changed the tractor's usability for me. I no longer worry about straining my knee regardless of how many times I need to get on and off the tractor.