28 acres worth a hay operation?

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #21  
Just curious. What grasses do you grow for hay in Devon? Is alfalfa grown there? Steve

No. Not got alfalfa. Not really sure what it is, but it's a fairly fast growing permanent lay we have down there

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #22  
Thanks for the replys. Its native now but id prob plant bermuda if i gave this a try. Im not sure what the current grass even is.

If you try this, check with what the market is on Horse Hay. Horse folks are very picky and will pay a premium for weed free native hay here. If you go that way you will be dealing with standard square bales as that is what they can handle. I would recommend you look into the balers, rakes, and cutting equipment to get a base line. A good inline baler such as the MF1835 will run 12K used. A rake is about 3K and depending on what you use to cut 3K for a disk mower to 12K for a used swather with conditioner.

Your local AG department as recommended is a good place to start.

Last question - Do you have a place to store as barn stored hay pays better.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #23  
I feed Bermuda seed mixed with my cattles cotton seed meal salt & mineral mix. I also dig & plant sprigs by hand. Selling hay you sell your top soil. You must replace with fertilizer or chicken litter ect or yields diminish. My 273 bailer cost me $425 my side delivery hay rake cost $120. My international mower cost $110 and my M farmall cost $325. All bought at auction. and I don't like to sell hay. We can have folks fighting over small square bales in the field at $4 per bale. after fuel , twine cost you really are not getting much for the labor and loss of organic matter.

well you did well fellow arkansan....must say although it's a windfall buy as your own equip, in general haying equip capital cost will go way beyond a 28 acre annual yield ( w/appropriate fertilizer & enviro risks), but you done well yourself. just an opinion of a 22 acre hayfield of 37 yr ownership. best of luck to OP

Last edited:
   / 28 acres worth a hay operation? #24  
well you did well fellow arkansan....must say although it's a windfall buy as your own, in general haying equip capital cost will go way beyond a 28 acre annual yield ( w/appropriate fertilizer & enviro risks), but you done well yourself. just an opinion of a 22 acre hayfield of 37 yr ownership. best of luck to OP
I do have a bit of advantage. I have a natural talent for all things mechanical. Im the guy they went to when others couldn't fix it. I grew up with bailers and old letter series farmallls. My dad had a theory that any thing you wanted could be bought at auction at a real bargian if you had the cash and where patient. And It has worked that way for me. Ive bought everything from land , tools vehicles at auction at bargain prices. The State of Arkansas sell,s many parcels of land for taxes every year. Go to COSL for the online auction catalog. Im a bit of a hoarder. I own three acres at the JCt of Hwy 90 & 93 and have covered it up with vehicles & tractors & stuff. all bought at auction. including the land.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #25  
I do have a bit of advantage. I have a natural talent for all things mechanical. Im the guy they went to when others couldn't fix it. I grew up with bailers and old letter series farmallls. My dad had a theory that any thing you wanted could be bought at auction at a real bargian if you had the cash and where patient. And It has worked that way for me. Ive bought everything from land , tools vehicles at auction at bargain prices. The State of Arkansas sell,s many parcels of land for taxes every year. Go to COSL for the online auction catalog. Im a bit of a hoarder. I own three acres at the JCt of Hwy 90 & 93 and have covered it up with vehicles & tractors & stuff. all bought at auction. including the land.

hey great good for you. i'm just replying to the OP on the consideration of haying investment on what i would consider smaller acreage. glad it worked out for you best regards

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #26  
28 acres does not a hay operation make. I mow 6 acres with my lawn mower. :)

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #28  
I get a kick when somebody recommends to see the county agent. Has anybody ever gotten any decent information from a county agent?

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #29  
I get a kick when somebody recommends to see the county agent. Has anybody ever gotten any decent information from a county agent?

You mean I actually have one??? I wonder where his office is??? I remember them being mentioned when I was a kid. Haven't heard anything about them for the last 30 years. :)

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #30  
Weve got a county agent and while I've never asked for advice hes as whole lot better than Hank Kimball. I only bale 15 acres and don't consider myself an operation but it provides food for our beef cattle and our horses. Is it worth it? Does it pencil out? Probably and then some but if I didn't like it I wouldn't do it.