2N?

/ 2N? #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I just acquired a new project and have a couple questions. I am sure it is a 2N. According to my research, it could easily be confused for a 9N but the tractor I have has the hand crank option. One confusing thing....the lug pattern in the front is identical to my 52 8N. I am trying to restore this tractor and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I order parts. Did Ford convert to this lug pattern late in production with the 2N or do I have a 8N front axle? I know several parts are interchangeable from the 9N, 8N and 2N. I need to get an accurate read of the serial number to determine the exact year but I believe it is a '46 or early '47. The 8N began in late '47, I believe. My father restored the '52 8N and had great success in finding everything for it. I have been using it for 3 years now and all it has needed was a new steering box and a tune up. Not bad for a 53 year old tractor! Hopefully I'll be able to post pics of the new project soon. Any help is appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 2N? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am sure it is a 2N. According to my research, it could easily be confused for a 9N but the tractor I have has the hand crank option. )</font>

All the N's could be hand cranked, unless the crank nut was replaced with a front stinger pump coupling..

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One confusing thing....the lug pattern in the front is identical to my 52 8N. ....Did Ford convert to this lug pattern late in production with the 2N or do I have a 8N front axle? )</font>

I doub't you have an 8n front axle.. the radious rods are not compatible.. that is. the front axle is different. I would rather guess you have 8n front hubs. The 8n hub will fit on the 9n spindle.. same bearings and all. it's a common swap..

If you have any ford questions, let me know.. I have a 46 2n, 52 8n, 54 NAA, 55 660, and 75 5000.

Soundguy

/ 2N?
will do...thanks. I've read some of your old posts and have gathered plenty of useful info. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of it this weekend.