2wd front tires in mud

/ 2wd front tires in mud #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
My Ingersoll has small lawn, and garden tires on the front of it. Sence I changed to AG tires in the back, I love the proformance in the muddy stuff, but the front tires realy pack up. Now when I got the tractor, I had these rib style tires on it...

carlisle_rib.gif

.....And they were real bad. I slid all over the place on turns, eaaven on dry grass. Not last year I switched to a more aggressuve turf tread tire.......

lgcarlturfmate-rs.gif

.....These work better on the grass, but in the mucky stuff, they pack right up with mud. Now I have been thinking of getting a set of bar tires for the front, like this......

carlisle_superlug.gif

.... Any one ever use these on a non drive wheel? Any problem anyone can think of? Thanks.

/ 2wd front tires in mud #2  
I'll watch this with interest. My 2wd has a similar setup with smooth tyres on the front.

I don't think changing will make a difference as they are only being pushed along, but they often sink in the mud and wonder what wider ones would do?

Cheers

/ 2wd front tires in mud #3  
My BX2200 has bar tires in the front and most of the time I operate in 2WD. It handles fine with little damage to the lawn. I don't notice the front bars digging up the lawn unless I am carrying a load in the bucket or if I am in 4WD and making a sharp turn.

John

/ 2wd front tires in mud #4  
For a non-driving front wheel, a tri-rib tractor tire would be the best to stop skidding. However, don't know if they will be found in the size you need. It would look most like your first tire, but a deep center rib and 2 edge ribs, with channels at least as wide & deep between.

Many combines are shipped with traction tractor tires on the rear. Those that are not power assisted rears are often mounted 'backwards' for steering only. I'm not sure of the logic of this, might steer better but also might rip up sod more too?

--->Paul

/ 2wd front tires in mud
With the BX in 2wd, do you have any problem sliding on turns? My big problem is with all the mud that gets packed in, she just slides insted of turning. The weight box on the front helps, but it still slides.

I have also have heard that flipping the bar tires around help. Anyone do this, or know why?

/ 2wd front tires in mud #6  
Use the individual left and right rear brakes to aid in steering. 2wd tractors have had individual brakes for many years to aid in steering and maintaining optimum traction by holding a bit on the spinning wheel using the brake for that wheel. Slight pressure on the brake will assist avoiding tearout of the lawn as well.

/ 2wd front tires in mud
Nope. Don't have them. Just one brake. That is on my list of mods one of these days though.

/ 2wd front tires in mud #8  
sounds like you simple don't have enough weight on front

my 2 cents

/ 2wd front tires in mud
Ya, I know. There is only so much I can add though. I am going to fill the front tires,[Ya, I know, not much, but every little bit helps] plus, I am adding some front wheel weights.

/ 2wd front tires in mud #10  
Rambler has the answer- Tri rib or even Single- rib- these were standard eguip. before 4WD came along. Gemplers has them- maybe their website shows a photo.