2wd vs 4wd

/ 2wd vs 4wd #1  

mudking

Tractor
1991 Case 5140 Cab MFD w/FEL, 2001 New Holland TN 75D Cab, 2006 Case JX95 Cab MFD, 2022 Yanmar YM347 open-station, FEL.
Hi. I'm new to the forum and searched but did not find the topic. I apologize if this has already been beaten to death:

I'm going to buy a new cab tractor, probably a Case IH JX75, probably going to put a 8ft 2-blade rotary cutter (3-point, not pulled) on it and leave it, and the question is: is there any reason to spend $3500 more for 4wd?

I have a New Holland TC40D that I'm mowing with now, switching between a 93" finish mower (Del Morino) and a 6 ft International single-blade rough-cut mower. I also use it for an ariator, spreader, and root-rake. I also have a 1995 NH 3930, 4wd with a FEL and a 7' box blade that stay on it. I'll keep both of these.

Do I need 4wd on a JX75 with no loader? And yes, I'm on hilly, but not mountainous terrain.

Thanks, MK

/ 2wd vs 4wd #2  
I have found that FWA is a great item for a brush chopping tractor on uneven or heavy brush ground. If all you are doing is mowing flat ground that is just hay then you can get by without it. But I would go for the FWA if it is going to be a pure brush chopping rig. Then once you get her home, toss on the belly plates and brush gaurds and have some fun.

/ 2wd vs 4wd #3  
I know what mine does in two wheel drive and I know the difference in 4 WD and I would never buy a 2 WD only. Nice to have that extra option of traction when needed. My opimion only....

/ 2wd vs 4wd #4  
MK,

It sounds like you have been doing this for a while and have a pretty good handle on whether your intended use needs a FWA or not. Have you ever been stuck? Would the FWA come in handy a time or two? Enough to justify the expense? All these questions can be best answered by you.

For my money I like the extra security the FWA gives me. I got along fine for a lot of years with JD 2wd. The FWA just gives me more options, so worth the expense. It's also a case for me anyways of saying I may never use it but if I didn't have I could never add it.

Good Luck with your decision.

/ 2wd vs 4wd #5  
<font color="blue">( I'm going to buy a new cab tractor, probably a Case IH JX75, probably going to put a 8ft 2-blade rotary cutter (3-point, not pulled) on it and leave it, and the question is: is there any reason to spend $3500 more for 4wd? )
</font>

I have a 2WD Kubota M8950 pulling a 15' flex-wing mower. I have never needed 4WD, so if you are not going to use a loader, you probably won't need one either.

If you were looking at a compact tractor, you would probably want 4WD.

/ 2wd vs 4wd #6  
Hilly land? That's why I need 4WD ...I do have a loader, or grapple on the front, so there is a lot of weight there.

When I come over a crest headed down a very, very steep patch, with the mower down in 2WD there is a forward weight transfer (around the fulcrum of the front wheels) and my rear (loaded turf) tires lose traction!

That means no, repeat no, engine braking...a life-threatening, very scary ride. Of course, the brakes have next to no effect at this point. Steering to continue down the "fall line" is the only answer until the slope shallows a bit and the rear end settles down. Fortunately, first time it happened I had brown pants on.

I thought the HST had just slipped out of L range, into neutral and had Kubota dealer check. Ultimately they sent mechanic to my place and replicated experience repeatedly (very helpful dealer). This does not happen when the mower is raised, because the mower counterbalances the loader around the front wheel fulcrum.

The point of the story, here, is that it also does not happen in 4WD because the front tires are engaged, engine braking is applied and they are solidly on terra firma so the ride is controlled. As you point out, you have no (immediate) plan for a loader (or other front implement?) and you may not have so steep a pitch, so this probably doesn't apply, but I thought I would share this thought.

/ 2wd vs 4wd #7  
Is it necessary? probably not.But if the extra $$$$ is not a back breaker, 4WD is always nice to have.

/ 2wd vs 4wd #8  
If you aren't going to put a loader on it, you'll probably be fine without MFWD (caveat, depending on how hilly the area is). We have some pretty good rolling hills over at the hay farm and everything is done with two wheel drive tractors.

Hmmm... now that I think about it, mowing and baling the sloping field is never much fun. MFWD would add some security when mowing that field. So, in retrospect, it all depends on how steep the hills are. You'll most likely be fine with 2WD, but MFWD would be nice.

/ 2wd vs 4wd #9  
Mudking -- how important is it that the tractor be able to operate in mud? That may be one clue...

/ 2wd vs 4wd #10  
I think you will be very sorry that you bought a 2wd. I simply cannot tell you how many times I have spin the rear wheels of my tractor only to find that I neglected to put it 4wd.

My yard is not hilly either.