3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet

/ 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #1  

JFoy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
With my new building, I want a 3/4in frost free sillcock/faucet for the garden hoses. I've called all the plumbing supply houses and they all tell me 1/2in is what they have. I don't understand why there aren't 3/4 frost free ones.

So, if I have to go with a regular 3/4 spicket with a vacuum breaker, would that be ok with below freezing temps here in central NC?

Baffled,
JFoy

/ 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #2  
I have a couple Woodfords. Specifically, one of them is a mixing valve where I have both hot and cold plumbed to it! (pretty cool when washing the dogs, can give them a warm bath verses the very cold well water!)

Anyway, I also have some singles... the singles are 3/4" my double (hot/cold) is 1/2" each. I don't know if it's available with 3/4"

Woodford Model 22 Hot and Cold Freezeless Faucet

/ 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #3  
Regarding the vacuum breaker thing... I'm guessing that's what allows the water to drain out of the hose after the spigot is turned off.

I've personally had no issues with that on mine.

/ 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #4  
With my new building, I want a 3/4in frost free sillcock/faucet for the garden hoses. I've called all the plumbing supply houses and they all tell me 1/2in is what they have. I don't understand why there aren't 3/4 frost free ones.

I could not find one when I was re-doing all of my outside faucets. I use one on a daily basis to fill up 3 five gallon buckets for my chickens and ducks, and wanted the highest volume of water possible. Had to settle for 1/2".

/ 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #5  
   / 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #7  
Regarding the vacuum breaker thing... I'm guessing that's what allows the water to drain out of the hose after the spigot is turned off.

I've personally had no issues with that on mine.
Gravity is what drains the water out. Faucet should be installed with slight tilt to the outside to facilitate draining. The vacuum breaker prevents siphoning when there is negative pressure in the system for instance when a fire engine pump truck is pumping from a fire hydrant on a public water system and a hose is attached to the house faucet and immersed in something you wouldn't want in the potable water system. Plumbing code requires the vacuum breaker.

/ 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #8  
You could do it the old frost-free way. Put a valve inside the house a couple of feet away, then regular outdoor faucet on the outside wall. In winter, close the inside valve and open the faucet.

Bruce

/ 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #9  
You could do it the old frost-free way. Put a valve inside the house a couple of feet away, then regular outdoor faucet on the outside wall. In winter, close the inside valve and open the faucet.

Bruce

That is a very unhandy solution in areas of the US where winter temperatures can vary between 50F and 10F

/ 3/4 frost free sillcock/faucet #10  
That is a very unhandy solution in areas of the US where winter temperatures can vary between 50F and 10F

Pretty handy for me the last 12 years here in Tenn. Winter temps. vary from -10F to as much as 70 at times, whatever difference that makes. I have 2 outdoor wall bibs on my attached garage and have pvc ball valves inside to turn the water off during freezing times. I too leave the outside bib open a little to drain the water from the inside valve out to the bib, the 3/4" pvc pipes I mounted on a very slight angle to allow for this when I built. Very easy to use a bib outside during winter with this method. I need to mention that my garage is fully insulated as the house and is heated/ a/c.