3 bottom roll-over plow requirements

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements #1  

candersen10

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 262c, NH TN75, JD 6430 premium, JD 5325, Kubota BX2200, Ford 1710HC, JD 333E, JD3720, Farmall 504, Farmall 404.
I have a John Deere 5325 and a New Holland TN75. Are either of these machines powerful enough to pull a 3 bottom roll-over plow? I assume that weight is more the concern, I have the full weight bracket on the front of my 5325 (I believe it has 10 weights - each weights 90 pounds I'm pretty sure - so roughtly 1000 pounds up front including the mounting brackets). The wheels are also filled.

Any thoughts? Is there simply no way to lift and pull such a heavy plow with a 5325?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements #2  
Inquiring minds would like to know also.

I found an obscure post that it took an "average" of 12HP/plow. As it was stated there are many variables in determining how much is enough. So by their reckoning your 67HP JD5325 should be ample for "average" soil conditions.

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements #3  
A 3-bottom roll-over plow packs the weight of a 6-bottom plow. That's the real issue in matching a tractor with a roll-over plow. You'll have enough HP with either tractor. In both cases, you're right on the fine line with tractor weight. Look at over-all weight of the plow vs. lift capacity too. Some of those plows are H.E.A.V.Y.

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements #4  
I assume your tractors are FWD. I wouldn't try this with 2WD versions of either of those. You will need all the weight. The rule of thumb in our parts was that to plow comfortably with a 3x16" rollover around 80-85 HP in a heavy tractor was best; with FWD you can get away with a little less. Those two tractors are relatively short wheelbase so they will be bounced around a lot in a field that's a little rough. FWD will be a big help. If you give it a try let us know how it works out. FWJ is right, it will weigh around the same as a 6-bottom but will be closer coupled to the tractor.

Which of your two tractors do you think would handle it better, or do you feel they're about equal?

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements #5  
I've always heard 25hp per bottom, so if that's true you would need around a 75hp tractor. Like someone said earlier there are so many variables to be considered (4wd tractor, has the groud been plowed before, etc.)

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements
The Deere 5325 is rated less HP than the TN75 but as far as I can tell is considerably more powerful. It is also heavier. If the 3 bottom rollover plow weighs as much as a 6 bottom, I would assume that it is too much for the machine. I would think that a 6 bottom plow would be a much heavier implement than a 3 bottom roll over plow because it extends so much further away from the rear axel. The heaviest implements I have run on the 5325 are only around 2000 pounds though, which I'm guessing is less than a rollover 3 bottom. I might have to upgrade to a larger tractor for tilling but fuel prices are so high these days that it seems stupid to buy anything until we see where prices are going.

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements #7  
candersen10 said:
The Deere 5325 is rated less HP than the TN75 but as far as I can tell is considerably more powerful. It is also heavier. If the 3 bottom rollover plow weighs as much as a 6 bottom, I would assume that it is too much for the machine. I would think that a 6 bottom plow would be a much heavier implement than a 3 bottom roll over plow because it extends so much further away from the rear axel. The heaviest implements I have run on the 5325 are only around 2000 pounds though, which I'm guessing is less than a rollover 3 bottom. I might have to upgrade to a larger tractor for tilling but fuel prices are so high these days that it seems stupid to buy anything until we see where prices are going.

A 3-bottom roll-over plow will have just as many shanks, moldboards, ect, as a 6-bottom. Granted the frame is shorter, but, the frames are USUALLY built very stout on 2-way plows. Then there's all the added pieces and parts that make up the roll-over mechanism. It may not HANDLE quite like a mounted 6-bottom plow, but the over-all weights will be comparable.

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements #8  
A TN75 will lift (easily) over 4000lbs on the 3 point.
I've had my TN75 on the PTO dyno here, it made 69 PTO hp (more than rated).

I don't know about the JD.

/ 3 bottom roll-over plow requirements #9  
it ought to pull it through the field fine, my worry would be could you drive it around in the air...hook it up and see how she feels.

edit: make sure and flip it over a couple times too, that's when the front end of the ole 4020 gets light with our 4 bottom roll over.