Pat's Easy Change 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use?

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #1  

gckshea

Bronze Member
Tractor
2018 LS XR4140
Hi All!
I can't find info anywhere regarding... should my Pat's Easy Change hooks be used with a newly acquired, older Woods Groundbreaker backhoe?

I'm thinking it'll be OK, but...the backhoe will be set further back 4" by this, and I don't want to overtorque the Pat's system, or put 4" more rotational torque potential on my tractor. I know 3 point backhoes are a hot button, but this is a smaller one on a larger frame tractor. No rock busting or huge stumps planned.

Thanks 😊

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #3  
no experience with them but I have read a few stories about people separating the rear of the tractor from the front using these things. The 3 point is not designed for that kind of pressure at the angles you will apply.

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #4  
Get a sub frame so you don't hurt your tractor, a 3 point setup puts way too much stress on the tractor.

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #5  
Is the next message about how to bury a dead
tractor killed by its backhoe????

willy

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #6  
I have a question. I know 3pt backhoes have damaged tractors and have seen the pictures. Also have seen where one broke out the rear just transporting. My question is what is different about the people who use them with no issues? There must be some situations where it works fine or they would not have a market.

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #7  
I have a question. I know 3pt backhoes have damaged tractors and have seen the pictures. Also have seen where one broke out the rear just transporting. My question is what is different about the people who use them with no issues? There must be some situations where it works fine or they would not have a market.
Around here, people tend to buy and undersized 3 pt backhoe for the tractor to avoid damage, plus they add two extra top links trying the loader to the tractor. The dealers will weld some brackets on the ROPS or to another solid point on the tractor for these extra top links to attach to.

Also, those 3 pt backhoes use it's own PTO pump and reservoir and will run at less pressure than the tractor, at around 2000 PSI versus the 2600 PSI that most tractors put out.

In the end, how the backhoe is used is a big contribution for whether it will damage something or not.

26167199_1586003054828670_8586964170766244631_n.jpg
13626542_1055787527850228_5026572424705809238_n.jpg

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #8  
The tractor/backhoe matchup is an important part of the equation, putting a large hoe on a smallish tractor, even when the hoe manufacturer lists or approves the combination, puts the tractor at more risk.
Some tractors are more susceptible to specific backhoe related failures than others. New Holland Class II CUT's and TC30's come to mind.
Aggressive use of the backhoe for tasks like large rock excavation, stump removal and pavement demolition are potentially risky depending on the operator's approach to the task.
In the end I believe most damage can be avoided and most reasonable tasks can be accomplished by prudent operation.

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #9  
Thanks guys. My thoughts exactly. I do have a friend that bought a new Mahindra last year and wanted to borrow his dads 3pt backhoe. I strongly recommend he not do it. The reason is he is hard on the equipment. The first week he bent the bucket and has since broken the lights off and dented the fenders. Lol His poor tractor has about 60 hrs on it and looks like it has thousands.

/ 3 point backhoe...is it ok to use? #10  
I have a subframe on my 3 pt backhoe. Just wanted to avoid problems.